David H
David H, GM master certified
Experience:  Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

How to change an ac mode actuator

How to change an ac mode actuator?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  David H replied 4 years ago.
That job requires removal of the dash assembly to access and replace the mode actuator.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
not enough information
Expert:  David H replied 4 years ago.

Here is the service info for actuator replacement.

Mode Valve Actuator Replacement

Removal Procedure.

Object Number: 292128  Size: SH

1. Remove the instrument panel carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauge., and Console.

Important: The left air temperature actuator does not need to be removed in order to remove the mode actuator.

The left air temperature actuator is removed in the graphic in order to show the screw locations.

2. Remove the mode actuator retaining screws (1).
  3. Remove the mode actuator.
    Object Number: 817976  Size: SH

4. Note the position of the door levers to the cam.

The mode door levers must be in the same position in order to reassemble the mode actuator to the HVAC case.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 817976  Size: SH

1. The mode door levers must be in the this position in order to reassemble the mode actuator to the HVAC case.
  2. Lubricate the pivots on the mode door levers and the channels on the mode actuator cam before assembling.
    Object Number: 292128  Size: SH

3. Align the mode door levers with the cam slots, as noted on disassembly.
  4. Install the mode actuator to the HVAC module.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

5. Install the mode actuator retaining screws (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.4 N·m (12 lb in).

6. Install the instrument panel carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel AsmblyReplacement in Instrument Panel, Gauge., and Console.
  7. Re-calibrate the actuators. Refer to Actuator Recalibration.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do i remove the dashboard?

Expert:  David H replied 4 years ago.

Here is the info for removing the dash.This is a big job.

Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

1. Disable SIR. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling and SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR.
  2. Remove the left knee bolster. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Replacement.
  3. Remove the left knee bolster support. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Bracket Replacement .
  4. Remove the right knee bolster. Refer to Passenger Knee Bolster Replacement .
  5. Remove the I/P center seat or the floor console. Refer to Instrument Panel Compartment Replacement in Seats, or Front Floor Console Replacement .
  6. Remove the I/P outer trim panels. Refer to Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover Replacement - Right Side and Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover Replacement - Left Side .
  7. Remove the windshield pillar trim. Refer to Windshield Pillar Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
  8. Remove the defroster grille. Refer to Defroster Grille Replacement.
  9. Remove the I/P upper trim pad. Refer to Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad Replacement .
  10. Remove the heads up display, if equipped with UV8. Refer to Head Up Display Module Replacement .
    Object Number: 105537  Size: SH

11. Disconnect the body to I/P electrical connectors (1) at the top, outside corners of I/P.
  12. Disconnect all other electrical connectors from the I/P to body.
  13. Disconnect the steering column shaft from the steering column.
    Object Number: 550997  Size: SH

14. Remove the steering column to body bolts (1). Refer to Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
  15. For a DeVille base model, or the DeVille DHS, disconnect the shift cable from the steering column.
  16. Disconnect the Steering column to body connectors.
    Object Number: 551005  Size: SH

17. Remove the I/P center support bracket bolts (1) to floor bracket.
    Object Number: 474609  Size: SH

18. Remove I/P carrier (1) to cowl nuts.
    Object Number: 551934  Size: SH

19. Remove the bolt (1) and nuts (2) from the left and right I/P carrier to hinge pillar.
    Object Number: 474611  Size: SH

20. Remove the I/P and carrier assembly from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 474611  Size: SH

1. Install the I/P and carrier assembly to the vehicle.
    Object Number: 551934  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the nuts and bolts (1, 2) to the I/P carrier.

Tighten
    Tighten the I/P carrier nuts and bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 474609  Size: SH

3. Install the I/P carrier to cowl nuts (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the I/P carrier to cowl nuts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 551005  Size: SH

4. Install the I/P center support bracket bolts (1) to floor bracket.

Tighten
    Tighten the I/P center support bracket bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 550997  Size: SH

5. Install the steering column bolts (1). Refer to Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
  6. For a DeVille base model, or the DeVille DHS, Install the shift cable to the steering column.
  7. Connect Steering column to body electrical connectors.
    Object Number: 105537  Size: SH

8. Connect the I/P to body electrical connectors (1) at top outside corners of I/P.
  9. Install the heads up display, if equipped with UV8. Refer to Head Up Display Module Replacement .
  10. Install the I/P upper trim pad. Refer to Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad Replacement .
  11. Install the defroster grille. Refer to Defroster Grille Replacement.
  12. Install the windshield pillar trim. Refer to Windshield Pillar Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
  13. Install the center seat or the center console. Refer to Instrument Panel Compartment Replacement in Seats, or Front Floor Console Replacement .
  14. Install the left and right I/P outer trim panels. Refer to Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover Replacement - Right Side and Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover Replacement - Left Side .
  15. Install the left knee bolster support bracket. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Bracket Replacement .
  16. Install the left knee bolster. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Replacement .
  17. Install the right knee bolster. Refer to Passenger Knee Bolster Replacement .
  18. Enable the SIR. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling and SIR Disabling and Enabling in SIR
David H, GM master certified
Experience: Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified