Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Im not getting any fire to spark plugs on my 97 chevy blazer.

I'm not getting any fire to spark plugs on my 97 chevy blazer. Haven't tried any thing yet.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

1997 Chevrolet Truck Blazer 2WD 4.3L SFI 6cyl.

First of all check for spark at the end of the coil wire. You may use a test plug as not to shock yourself.

You can make a test plug with a new spark plug and some wire, a mini hose clamp and an alligator clip. First open the spark plug gap to around 0.075” and strip both ends of a 16 gauge wire about 4 foot in length. Attach the mini hose clamp around the threads of the spark plug cause that is a ground and secure it with the mini hose clamp with the bare wire end in between to make a good connection. Next, take the other end of wire and secure to an alligator clip.
Now, you have a test plug. Remove any spark plug boot you want and insert your test plug onto the spark plug wire end you just pulled off and ground the alligator clip. Lay the spark plug in some shade somewhere under that hood and then crank the engine and look for spark. It should crackle with sound and should be blue but red is ok, orange is a little weak. If it can jump that 0.075” gap you should have no problem igniting an engine.
You can also use that to check coils on some vehicles.
graphic

If you have no spark, then check to make sure you have voltage to the ignition coil's primary wire when the key is on run at the pink wire, refer to this wiring diagram, click here. If no voltage refer to this wiring diagram, click here and check the fuse ECM-1 Fuse 20A (hot in run) for voltage. You can also test the condition of the entire primary circuit to see if it is functioning by attaching a 12-volt test light to the tach wire (white wire on coil) and while cranking the engine the test light should flicker if the primary circuit is opening and closing like it is supposed to. Last, check the ignition coil as described, click here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked the pink wire at the primary coil, and there is no power. However the ecm fuse is good.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Did you have the key on run? If so, check the pink wire where it comes out of the ignition switch. Here are the instructions for removing the ignition switch, along with a diagram, click here, although you may not have to completely remove it at least you should be able to access it to check the pink wire.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have power coming from ignintion switch pink wire in run mode.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have power from pink wire at ignition switch
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about that, took a nap. Ok, then there is a break in that pink wire somewhere from the ignition switch to the coils and it appears that same pink wire splices off to the fuel injectors.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you were right. The wire harness was unpluged under the hood.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Good job!