Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications

2004 chevy malibu Maxx: Remote starter..door fine

Remote starter won't work for my 2004 chevy malibu Maxx. When I try to use it the lights flash once. The remote door locks work fine.

When I google this it seems that a lot of folks have issues with the sensor that tells the car whether the hood is open. I didn't want to but a new one and install it, however, before making sure that is the problem.

Also, if it is the hood sensor, can I just cut the wire and twist the two ends together, completing the circuit and making the car think the hood is always closed?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
If the hood latch is the problem it would store a code and disable the remote start system. Alot of trouble codes will disable the remote start. Rather than guess you may want to have it scanned with a scan tool that can remote the remote vehicle start data list. Not all scan tools can do this. The one the dealer uses can. Hate to see you just cut wires, and it may not fix the problem because its a two part switch. Thanks, Eric