Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Chevy Technician
Experience:  6yrs experience, and access to factory service information

I just replaced the ac compressor belt on my tahoe and i got

I just replaced the ac compressor belt on my tahoe and i got the maindrive belt put back on now my tahoe doesn't want to run. It seems as though I routed the main drive belt the wrong way, but it is exactly the way the diagram shows. What could I have done wrong?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt Carey replied 3 years ago.

Hi this is MATT. Why did you replace the AC belt? Was it worn, or was it gone? Maybe the compressor was locked up??? If no pulleys are locked up/ frozen, and the belt is on right, I can't see what could have happened. Usually the belt will only go on the correct way and be tight. here's the correct routing pic. MATT

let me know why you changed it.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i replaced it because it was broken. the clutch on the ac compressor was free, so i don't think that was the problem. the only reason i can think that the belt would break is just that it was no good. everything else apears to be ok. According to the diagram that you sent the belts are correct. when i first tried to start it it turned over a little rough, with a ticking sound, then started (still with a ticking sound), then smoke appeared, then it died. tried to start it again, after looking everything over, and it did the same thing minus the ticking.
It really sounds like you have a locked up ac compressor/ or other component. That would explain the broken belt, and smoke. I would remove the belts, and spin all of the components. Maybe the ac was locking up in certain positions??? You could look close at the AC comp. clutch for any signs of melted rubber? Let me know, what you find. MATT
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it appears that was the problem. the tensioner pully for the ac belt is completely siezed up. took the ac belt off and the tahoe runs like normal. thanx for all of your help.

Great. Glad to help. Ever need any thing else just ask for me, MATT.

tensioner is much better than a bad compressor!!

Edited by Matt Carey on 8/2/2010 at 12:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I agree 100%!!! Agian thanx 4 everything.
Don't forget to click ACCEPT, if you feel I was helpful. (otherwise I don't get paid). I hate to ask, cause it is not all about the money. But If the website is getting paid, I should get my share, which I won't unless you accept. take care, MATT
Matt Carey, Chevy Technician
Experience: 6yrs experience, and access to factory service information