GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman - GM World Class Tech
Experience:  GM
6758627

2005 Malibu Maxx: traction control..my check engine light came..drove

I drive a 2005 Malibu Maxx and during the winter my car hit a patch of ice, the traction control kicked in then almost instantly after that happened I noticed my transition didn't seem to go back to normal. Soon after my check engine light came on so I took my car to the shop and was told it as just a computer error, they cleared the error and as I drove it off the lot the light came back on. I took it right back and now they said I have to pay 2,000 to get my transmission checked or 3,000 to get a new transmission. I have driven my car ever since that happened because I couldn't afford a new transmission and the check engine light is on, the no traction control light is on, and I can't use my cruise control. Is it possible that the traction control never kicked completely off or am I doomed to have to put a brand new transmission in my car?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 6 years ago.

Hello! Do you by chance know what the fault code was for? Did they write that on the invoice at all or mention it? Without knowing exactly what code was set, its hard to give any type of advice.

Traction control is mostly a function of the Anti-Lock Brake System, with some engine interaction. Shouldn't have anything to do with the transmission, so I suspect its not related to the traction even you experienced, but more of a coincidence.

If you could find out what code was set (maybe find a new mechanic!) I would be able to give you more assistance.