JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

How do I get to the spot to replace the coolant temperature

How do I get to the spot to replace the coolant temperature sensor? I can't get to it?

graphic

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Turn the engine OFF. NOTE: Use care when handling the coolant sensor. Damage to the coolant sensor will affect the operation of the fuel control system.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
  3. Drain coolant below the level of the ECT sensor. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (LL8) Draining and Filling Cooling System (LH6, LS2) in Cooling System.
  4. Disconnect the ECT sensor electrical connector (1).

graphic

1. Carefully remove the ECT sensor (1).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. If installing the original sensor or a new sensor without sealant, apply thread sealer P/N 12346004 or equivalent. NOTE:
    • Use care when handling the coolant sensor. Damage to the coolant sensor will affect the operation of the fuel control system.
    • Replacement components must be the correct part number for the application. Components requiring the use of the thread locking compound, lubricants, corrosion inhibitors, or sealants are identified in the service procedure. Some replacement components may come with these coatings already applied. Do not use these coatings on components unless specified. These coatings can affect the final torque, which may affect the operation of the component. Use the correct torque specification when installing components in order to avoid damage.
      1. Install the ECT sensor. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten the ECT sensor to 16 N.m (12 lb ft) .
      2. Connect the ECT electrical connector (1).
      3. Connect the negative battery terminal.
      4. Refill the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (LL8) Draining and Filling Cooling System (LH6, LS2) in Cooling System
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am unable to reach the part. The vehicle is a 2006 chevy trailblazer? The alternator is not in the way, but I have big hands and there isn't space to reach the part. Is there something I need to remove to reach it?

it calls for 1.4 hours so unbolt anything in the way to gain access