Mr GOODWRENCH
Mr GOODWRENCH, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  MASTER ASE TECH, 10+ yrs GM experience
43220722

2004 chevy: the battery light is..charging..alternator

i have a 2004 chevy avalanche and the battery light is always blinking on and off. display says battery not charging, changed the battery, changed the alternator. still same thing took it to my mechanic everything checked out to be ok
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mr GOODWRENCH replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will be helping you with your Avalanche. What is the voltage with the engine running?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
14.0
Good. Did you replace the alternator?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes

Do you remember at your battery on the negative cable a small box on the cable with a connector plugged into it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no there is no small box with connector just cable
Where did you purchase the alternator?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
local auto part store

Was the old alternator putting out 14 volts and the light was coming on too?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
originally one went completey dead then i bought a new one everything worked fine battery light come on and by next morning the truck would be dead took it back they got me another one under warranty same thing just bought a new battery today because my truck was dead and light just doent want to go off
I believe you have the wrong type of alternator on your avalanche. There are 2 different alternators for your avalanche. One with the generator control module that is on the negative cable of the battery which you dont have. The other one is the without, the type you have installed now. Alot of the aftermarket alternators will cause this problem, its the voltage regulator inside the alternator. You could also have the wrong alternator installed amperage wise. Not sure which one you orignally had installed but one rated at 102 and the other at 130.