GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1997 chevy: tach, speedometer quit and the transmission wont shift

Customer Question

I have a 1997 chevy 1500 truck and the tach, speedometer quit and the transmission won't shift
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mr GOODWRENCH replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will be helping you with your silverado.Do you have a test light? On the drivers side of the dash is a fuse block test to see if you have power on the trans fuse. The fuse is probably good (not open or blown) The ignition switch under the lock cylinder is not providing power to the fuses. Its the electrical part that uses contact inside the switch and the contacts are bad. Let me know what you find, and if you need more help I will be on later tonite

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My truck does not have a trans fuse in dash fuse box. Clean contacts in switch still the tach and speedometer still will not work. This truck had this problem about 4 months ago and we unplugged the sarter relay and plugged it back in and it fixed the problem. This time we changed that relay and it still will not work.

Okay so in position # XXXXX of the dash fuse block there is no fuse? There is supposed to be a 10 amp mini fuse. This fuse sends power to the solenoids in the transmission. This is the Trans fuse. See if it has power at the top points on the fuse with the key on engine off with a test light and let me know what you got.