GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71: my transmission..way home..light went..blown

For 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 4X4 with 5.7ltr
I have had my 4x4 switch replaced st the dash, rebuilt my transmission all in the klast 4 months.
I went on a trip and everything worked just fine. The 4X4 switched in and out, but on the way home the switch light went out so I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and started the truck up and everything seem to work like it was suppose to. The olights on the dash switch lite up the 2Hlight, but I wpould shift it into drive an the transfer case fuse blows everytime.
Ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Greetings. I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept if you are satisified. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can.

GM Tech (Cam) :

For the fuse to pop, it sounds like there is a problem at the shifter itself. Is there any wiring damage? How is the transfer case fluid?

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

First sorry about the delay, I am not a mechanic and need to check things between work and family stuff.

I did not see any wireing damage at the new switch area under the dash and there is plenty of fluifd in the transfer case. I checked it and also had it replace a few month ago when the transmissions was repplaced.

Could this be related to the new tranny?

I do see several wire loops around the trany and transfer case area but I did not notice an exsposed wires

OK, if all that is good then it may be a fault in the shifter motor then drawing too much power.