Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2005 Silverado overheating. We replaced thermostat, and water

2005 Silverado overheating. We replaced thermostat, and water pump. Still overheating. Now a light spray of something is on the inside drivers side windsheild? What can be the problem??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The only thing that would cause that would be a leaking heater core. Below are directions to replace it:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the engine cooling system into a clean container for reuse.
  3. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
  4. Remove the instrument panel storage compartment.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connectors, as necessary, that may be in the way.
  6. Remove the center floor air distribution duct.
  7. Remove the hinge pillar trim kick panels.
  8. Remove the blower motor cover screws and the cover.
  9. Remove the blower motor screws and the blower motor.
  10. Remove the steering wheel and the steering column (standard & tilt).
  11. Remove the instrument panel fasteners and pull the instrument panel back far enough to gain access to the heater assembly.
  12. While holding the heater assembly against the firewall, remove the screw located on the interior side near the evaporator pipe, if equipped.
  13. In the engine compartment, remove the 4 heater assembly-to-chassis screws and the 2 heater assembly-to-chassis nuts.
    NOTE Removal of the heater assembly may require the help of an assistant.
  14. Remove the 7 heater cover-to-heater assembly screws and the cover.
  15. Remove the heater core from the heater assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. View of the front heater assembly-Chevy/GMC C/K-Series, Blazer, Jimmy, Sierra, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Location of the front heater assembly-to-chassis fasteners-Chevy/GMC C/K-Series, Blazer, Jimmy, Sierra, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon

To install:

1. Install the heater core to the heater assembly.
  2. Install the heater cover and the 7 heater cover-to-heater assembly screws.
    NOTE Installation of the heater assembly may require the help of an assistant.
  3. In the engine compartment, install the 4 heater assembly-to-chassis screws and the 2 heater assembly-to-chassis nuts. Torque the screws to 17 inch lbs. (1.9 Nm) and the nuts to 25 inch lbs. (2.8 Nm).
  4. While holding the heater assembly against the firewall, install the screw located on the interior side near the evaporator pipe, if equipped. Torque the screw to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
  5. Install the instrument panel and the instrument panel fasteners.
  6. Install the steering column (standard & tilt) and the steering wheel.
  7. Install the blower motor and the blower motor screws.
  8. Install the blower motor the cover and the cover screws.
  9. Install the hinge pillar trim kick panels.
  10. Install the center floor air distribution duct.
  11. Connect the electrical connectors that were disconnected.
  12. Install the instrument panel storage compartment.
  13. Disconnect the heater hoses to the heater core.
  14. Refill the engine cooling system.
  15. Connect the negative battery cable.
  16. Run the engine to normal operating temperatures; then, check the climate control operation and check for leaks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.