GMKindl
GMKindl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 Years Master ASE Certified, ASE Advanced Engine Performance, GM Platinum Pro Service Guild

hello ,my service 4wd light came on,on my 2004 chevy avalanche

Customer Question

hello ,my service 4wd light came on,on my 2004 chevy avalanche and now the lights dont come on,on the buttons and it wont go into 4wd..could it be an electrical problem..bout a year ago it did it too so i went under there and wiggled the plugins a lil bit then it worked again...any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMKindl replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just Answer. Do any of the lights on the switch light up when you turn the key to the on position?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for the reply..no sir no lights come on ,on the switch..
Expert:  GMKindl replied 4 years ago.
There are a couple of possibilities that could be causing the concern. The first being the switch assembly itself. In some of the earlier model trucks they had some problems with the switch assembly causing this concern. This would also set a B2725 code in the body control module (BCM)or the transfer case control module (TCCM). If you have this code then I would replace the switch. The other common failure is the encoder motor sensor. This sensor is located inside the encoder (shift) motor on the transfer case. This problem will typically set a C0327 code in the TCCM. Encoder motor sensors can be replaced but do require removing the motor from the transfer case then removing the cover of the motor assembly to access the sensor.The switch replacement is the easier of the two repairs, but to diagnose the concern more accurately we will need to know the trouble codes that are set. Most of the auto pars stores will scan your vehicle for you free of charge, but I am not sure if they can get TCCM codes or not. It may be worth a shot or even a phone call to see if they can do that, it will aid in diagnosing the concern. T
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks ill see what i can do..will i have to pay again or can i come back online if i have more question ?
Expert:  GMKindl replied 4 years ago.
You can continue to post your follow up questions here without any additional charges. I don't get credit for my work until you accept the answer. Even after you accept we can still continue with follow up questions for no additional charges. I am here to help you find the solution to your problem.
GMKindl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 15 Years Master ASE Certified, ASE Advanced Engine Performance, GM Platinum Pro Service Guild
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i will certianly accept cause youve helped me..i just got back inside from putting the truck in the garage and the light was off and the switch lights were working ,so wiggling the plugins might have fixed it again..thank you for your time i do appreciate it..
Expert:  GMKindl replied 4 years ago.
No problem. If wiggling the connections at the switch seems to help then I would suspect the switch may be the root of your problem. Sometimes the contacts on the circuit board may crack and wiggling them may connection again, or at least for a short period of time.