Bill Barrow
Bill Barrow, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  25 years of experience. Specialize in electrical, brakes and engines

92 camaro. turn key off motor still runs. i thought it may

Customer Question

92 camaro. turn key off motor still runs. i thought it may be the solonoid replaced it and it still does the same thing. this is not deiseling the motor is running nice and smooth for 5- 10 seconds. to be sure it wasnt back feeding through the alt i started the car with the alt disconnected and it did the same thing
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 6 years ago.
hi, I would think there is a problem with the ignition switch(electrical-not the key cylinder)there is a pink wire at the connector at the ignition switch this should have bat voltage with the key on or in the start position ,and none when in the off position,check this wire for that voltage when on and no voltage when first turned off,you will have to have a test light or volt meter attached to this wire with the connector still plugged in ,then with the car running ,now turn off the key,I have seen this happen a few times and the switch was the problem and see if that still has voltage for that 5-10 seconds if it does replace ...guy...the switch ,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Every thing goes off exept the engin, EX a/c radio gages. So I'm pretty sure its switching of the 12v
still check the wire at the ignition switch there are several that work other circuits in the run position ...guy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is that located in the steering colom or under te dash
it is on the column about 3/4 of the way down on the column ...guy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>just instaled new ignition switch, didnt fix the prob, any thing else i should look for? i by passed the key by just operating the switch to rule out bad tumler or link between.</p><p> </p><p>i checked the bat wire at distributer. key on reads 10v when you turn key to off it goes 5......4.......3........2......1 over about a 5 second period</p>
sorry having problems with the internat ,I will be back on as soon as I can ,big storm here ...guy...guy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still need help
sorry, the internet was off and on,there are only a few things in the ignition system that can cause this that is the switch ,which you replaced ,you should have just checked the wire I told you about instead of replacing the switch, and the coil,the coil may be breaking down and back feeding to the distributor...,when you turn the key off the power should stop instead of doing what it is doing,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It can't be the coil because when I unplug the switched 12v it turns off like it should. But when I operate the key with my volt meter on the wire it goes from 12v_0v over a 5sec period. It seems like that wire is acting like a capacitor.
did you check the voltage on the yellow wire at the ignition switch or the voltage at the coil ?...guy...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Both but the one at the coil is the one That goes from 12v-0v over about 5seconds
let me think about that and I will look at more diagrams,I have seen this before but I cant remember what was the problem ,I will though...guy..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks any help is appreciated
Expert:  Bill Barrow replied 6 years ago.
I'm betting this car has an electric fan that is straight wired to the ignition. The fan will generate power as it slows causing the 10-9-8.... drop. Use a relay to control the fan or install a diode to the wire to stop the feedback.