GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2006 Chevy HHR. Replacing rear brakes. How to rienstall emergeny

2006 Chevy HHR. Replacing rear brakes. How to rienstall emergeny brake to new shoe, or how to adjust emergency brake cable to loosen tension on spring?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

• Using a flat-bladed screwdriver, depress the visible retaining tab (1) on the park brake cable fitting, then tilt the released side of the cable end back into the backing plate.
  • Rotate the park brake cable to expose the other retaining tab.
  • Using a flat-bladed screwdriver, depress the remaining retaining tab on the park brake cable fitting, and release the cable fitting from the backing plate.
  • Move the majority of the cable return spring back through the opening in the backing plate.
  • Push the cable toward the rear of the vehicle, just enough to clear the cable end from the slot on the park brake lever.
  • Using a flat-bladed screwdriver, lift the cable to fully release the cable from the lever, then remove the cable.
  • Shoe replacement.

• If the brake shoe lining thickness is at or below the minimum specification, replace the brake shoes.
    Object Number: 890725  Size: SH

• Apply a thin, light coat of high temperature silicone brake lubricant to the brake shoe contact surfaces of the brake backing plate.
  • Position the hook end of the J 38400 (1) under the universal spring and lightly pull the universal spring end out while installing the leading brake shoe. Ensure that the universal spring engages the brake shoe web hole.
    Object Number: 890726  Size: SH

• Install the park brake cable to the park brake lever on the trailing brake shoe.
  • Position the hook end of the J 38400 (1) under the universal spring and lightly pull the universal spring end out while installing the trailing brake shoe. Ensure that the universal spring properly engages the brake shoe web hole.
    Object Number: 890724  Size: SH

• Using the J 38400 (1), spread the top of the brake shoes apart.
  • Install the adjuster assembly (2) to the brake shoes.
    Object Number: 900065  Size: SH

• Install the adjuster actuator lever (1) to the brake shoe and the adjuster assembly. Ensure that the lever is properly engaged between the adjuster assembly and the brake shoe.
    Object Number: 900061  Size: SH

Notice: Do not over stretch the adjuster spring. Damage can occur if the spring is over stretched.

• Install the adjuster spring (1). Ensure that the loop end of the spring fully engages the tab on the actuator lever.
  • GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.