Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1998 Silverado 3500: trouble removing the brake drums..rear wheel..ton

I am having trouble removing the brake drums on a dual rear wheel 1998 Silverado 3500 1 ton. Can you help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

here are full directions:

1. Support the axles on jackstands.
  2. Remove the wheels.
  3. Remove the bolts and lock washers that attach the axle shaft flange to the hub.

graphic

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Removing the bearing adjusting nut-full-floating axle, 93/4 and 101/2 in.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: Removing the bearing outer cup-full-floating axle, 93/4 and 101/2 in.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Tightening the adjusting nut-full-floating axle, 93/4 and 101/2 in.

1. Rap on the flange with a soft faced hammer to loosen the shaft. Grip the rib on the end of the flange with a pair of locking pliers and twist to start shaft removal. Remove the shaft from the axle tube.
  2. The hub and drum assembly must be removed to remove the bearings and oil seals. You will need a large socket to remove and later adjust the bearing adjustment nut. There are also special tools available.
  3. Disengage the tang of the locknut retainer from the slot or slat of the locknut, then remove the locknut from the housing tube.
  4. Disengage the tang of the retainer from the slot or flat of the adjusting nut and remove the retainer from the housing tube.
  5. Remove the adjusting nut from the housing tube.
  6. Remove the thrust washer from the housing tube.
  7. Pull the hub and drum straight off the axle housing.
  8. Remove the oil seal and discard.
  9. Use a hammer and a long drift to knock the inner bearing, cup, and oil seal from the hub assembly.
  10. Remove the outer bearing snapring with a pair of pliers. It may be necessary to tap the bearing outer race away from the retaining ring slightly by tapping on the ring to remove the ring.
  11. Drive the outer bearing from the hub with a hammer and drift.

To install:

1. Place the outer bearing into the hub. The larger outside diameter of the bearing should face the outer end of the hub. Drive the bearing into the hub using a washer that will cover both the inner and outer races of the bearing. Place a socket on top of this washer, then drive the bearing into place with a series of light taps. If available, an arbor press should be used for this job.
  2. Drive the bearing past the snapring groove, and install the snapring. Then, turning the hub assembly over, drive the bearing back against the snapring. Protect the bearing by placing a washer on top of it. You can use the thrust washer that fits between the bearing and the adjusting nut for the job.
  3. Place the inner bearing into the hub. The thick edge should be toward the shoulder in the hub. Press the bearing into the hub until it seats against the shoulder, using a washer and socket as outlined earlier. Make certain that the bearing is not cocked and that it is fully seated on the shoulder.
  4. Pack the cavity between the oil seal lips with wheel bearing grease, and position it in the hub bore. Carefully press it into place on top of the inner bearing.
  5. Pack the wheel bearings with grease, and lightly coat the inside diameter of the hub bearing contact surface and the outside diameter of the axle housing tube.
  6. Make sure that the inner bearing, oil seal, axle housing oil deflector, and outer bearing are properly positioned. Install the hub and drum assembly on the axle housing, being careful so as not to damage the oil seal or dislocate other internal components.
  7. Install the thrust washer so that the tang on the inside diameter of the washer is in the keyway on the axle housing.
  8. Install the adjusting nut. Tighten to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm) while rotating the hub. Back off the nut 1 / 4 turn and retighten to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) on models with the 11 inch ring gear and 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm) on models with the 10 1 / 2 inch ring gear.
  9. Install the tanged retainer against the inner adjusting nut. Align the adjusting nut so that the short tang of the retainer will engage the nearest slot on the adjusting nut.
  10. Install the outer locknut and tighten to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm). Bend the long tang of the retainer into the slot of the outer nut. This method of adjustment should provide 0.001-0.010 in. (0.0254-0.254mm) end-play.
  11. Place a new gasket over the axle shaft and position the axle shaft in the housing so that the shaft splines enter the differential side gear. Position the gasket so that the holes are in alignment, and install the flange-to-hub attaching bolts. Tighten to 115 ft. lbs. (156 Nm) on models with the 10 1 / 2 inch ring gear and tighten the axle cap bolts on models with the 11 inch ring gear to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).

To prevent lubricant from leaking through the flange holes, apply a non-hardening sealer to the bolt threads. Use the sealer sparingly.

1. Replace the wheels.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just want to be clear. the whole axle and assembly has to be removed so that i can get to the removal of the old break shoes.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the axle shaft goes thru the drum and holds it on. Without removing it, there is no way to remove drums to access the shoes. This is a common set-up on all duallys.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Full Floating Axles

To remove the drums from full floating rear axles, use the Axle Shaft Removal & Installation procedure . Full floating rear axles can readily be identified by the bearing housing protruding through the center of the wheel

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Full Floating Axles

To remove the drums from full floating rear axles, use the Axle Shaft Removal & Installation procedure . Full floating rear axles can readily be identified by the bearing housing protruding through the center of the wheel...

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Was there something I didnt answer? If you have any further questions feel free to help. Otherwise click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement you had agreed to as this is a paysite and customer is not paid for their time, knowledge or experience untill you do so.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, my husband got called away on an emergency. is there a time limit? i don't feel confident accepting on his behalf. also, the link to " the axle shaft removal & installation procedure" did not work. he should be back in an hour or so. thank you for your patience and your assistance.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

That is fine. The link just goes to the first set of directions I provided on the axle shaft directions.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.