Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

2005 chevy suburban. On starting, usually will not start on

2005 chevy suburban. On starting, usually will not start on first attempt after the starter engages. Starts immediately on the second attempt. Suspect the valve (at the fuel pump?) is allowing gas to leak back into the fuel line so the engine does not start on the first attempt. Is there only one valve? How do I determine if I really need to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump, or if there is some other cause. I don't mind tackling the fuel pump but would like to know first if this is in fact the problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Well, this problem could be a pump or regulator.
You need to test the fuel pressure and check if the pressure bleeds off.
Fuel pressure should pump 55-62 psi key on engine off. If pressure bleeds back, replace the fuel pressure regulator.
You can also installrubber line needsin the system so that it is possible to pinch the feed and return fuel lines.Then turn the key on to get pressure up, and when the pump shuts off, then block the lines and see if it holds pressure or still bleeds. If pressure holds, then release one clamp at a time and see which line pressure bleeds back on. If the pressure does not hold with the lines pinched, then there is a leak up in the engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tim
Several questions:
1. Specifically, how do I test the pressure? What type of gauge, where do I get one where/how do I tap into a line to test pressure?
2. By "bleeds back" do you mean I see a pressure drop at the gauge below 55-62 psi?
3. Where is the fuel pressure regulator and what does it look like?
4. Is the rubber line approach an alternative to the gauge?
5. With the rubber lines pinched, how do I know if the pressure is holding?

Thanks

Bill
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
is this flex fuel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, gas only.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
The fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel sender assembly.
The best way to check this is by connecting the fuel gauge to the valve.
The test port is on the fuel rail.
Turn the key on and watch the fuel pressure raise. Turn the key off. Pressure should hold.

FUEL PRESSURE GAGE INSTALLATION AND REMOVAL

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

TOOLS REQUIRED
J 34730-1A Fuel Pressure Gage

CAUTION:

• Refer to Gasoline/Gasoline Vapors Caution in Service Precautions.
  • Refer to Fuel Gage Leak Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Remove the engine sight shield.
  2. Remove the fuel rail pressure fitting cap.
  3. Connect the J 34730-1A to the fuel pressure valve. Wrap a shop towel around the fitting while connecting the gage in order to avoid spillage.
  4. Install the bleed hose on J 34730-1A into an approved container.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the bleed hose on the J 34730-1A from the approved container.
  2. Remove the shop towel from around the fitting and discard into an approved container.
  3. Disconnect the J 34730-1A from the fuel pressure valve.
  4. Install the fuel rail pressure fitting cap.
  5. Install the engine sight shield.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone