GMWrencher
GMWrencher, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  100% GM Certified ASE Master Automobile Medium/Heavy Truck. Licensed State Auto Inspector
42295557

2004 Tahoe: blower..only blow..it blow out of the front vents..flow

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Tahoe and the blower will not blow in the front when you have the control set to circulate the inside air only. The air will only blow out of the front vents when you have it set to bring the air from the outside and then and only will it blow out of the front vents when you are moving and you can not control the flow of the air. The air blows fine out of the back vents. Please advise.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GMWrencher replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I will do my best to help answer your General Motors Vehicle questions.

A few questions for you.

Which type of system. Manual or Automatic (with display)

Dual or single temp control front?

Just to be clear. You have the front fan blowing and as soon as you select recirculation the fan stops?

Are you sure the fan stops and not change positions?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have an automatic system with display.

There is dual control system in the front. The back control is at the top above the review mirror and the front control is in the dash. The A/C is dual control for the front also.

No, the front fan will not blow at all when the recirculation button is pushed. The air will only come out of the front vents when the button is pushed for the air to come from the outside and then it will only blow when the vehicle is rolling fast enough to bring the air from the outside. When the air is flowing in the front when you are rolling it wil only blow at the same level no matter whether you have it on low or high.

I really don't think the van is blowing at all because it will not blow when the vehicle is not moving. The back will blow at all levels whether you are rolling or not.

I understand now. You have no fan operation, but since you select outside air and the vehicle moves you get air out of the vent. Common problems actually. You most likely have a bad blower speed controller (resistor/relay assembly)bad blower motor, or a bad electrical connection at that relay. It is located under that dash on the passenger side. You can do some diagnosis. Locate the blower motor. It will be a motor that is hanging down under the right side. Turn your engine on and select high speed. Give that motor a good tap with your hand or a soft mallet. It it begins to operate look at the wiring harnesses for the blower and the relay assembly (where the wires go to for the blower) If you find any issues with burning or melting suspect wiring issues. If you dont its either a bad blower motor or relay. Reference the picture. #3 is the blower, #2 is the relay/resistor/speed controller. Inspect all wires and terminals.

blower

Edited by GMWrencher on 7/14/2010 at 3:16 PM EST