david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

is the oil pump for a 96 blazer in the pan do u have to drop

Customer Question

is the oil pump for a 96 blazer in the pan do u have to drop the pan to change it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david replied 6 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

Yes on both the 2.2 and 4.3 engines the oil pan needs to be removed to replace the oil pump.

Pan removal is possible with the engine in the vehicle on some of the power train combinations. If it is possible, it will often require the removal or repositioning of components including, the steering linkage assembly, the forward drive axle and cross member (4WD) and/or the engine mounts. It is a difficult and tedious task to remove the oil pan with the engine in the vehicle. The chances of contaminating the bearing surfaces or damaging other internal engine components is great. Also, working under the vehicle with the engine jacked up in the frame puts you at great risk for great personal injury. Therefore, it is desirable in most cases to remove the engine in order to gain access to the oil pan.

If you like I can give you removal and install tips. I will need to know the engine size and is this truck 4x4.

Hope this helps
Good luck