ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master tech
Experience:  30 years ASE Master L1 GM certified
11302663

my 2006 impala will not start. the key fob does nothing. when

my 2006 impala will not start. the key fob does nothing. when using the key the ignition lights come on but car will not start. interior door locks and window controls do not work. Battery is new, I assume the problem is with an anti theft device. the car has remote start. How can I get the vehicle started.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

greetings,

I would try to do a key relearn. There is a bulletin for RKE, Key fob issues that requires the Replacement/Reprogram of the RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters.

Here is the relearn.

30-MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes , the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes . The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock 3+(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock 3+(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock 3+(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles

good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I carefully followed your procedure but the car still won't start. Info board on dash says traction control off. when the key is on, the seat belt icon, engine icon ABS icon and the traction control triangle are lit and only the seat belt icon goes off, the rest stay on for the twelve minutes I waited. After three tries all is the same, thanks for your help.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
does the anti theft light come on? did it go out with the procedure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The anti theft light comes on momentarily with all the other icons, when turning the ignition on. but it does not stay on.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

Ok If you can get some help you can rap/bang the starter as the key is turned and you try to start the vehicle. Best would be to use a test light and see if there is power at the small terminal or purple wire at the starter. Make sure the vehicle is all the way in park.

sometimes the starter develops bad contacts inside and a shock allows just enough for the starter to work.

let me know what you find

good luck

Edited by ironmike on 7/9/2010 at 7:28 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's pouring rain at the moment but will see if there is power to the starter asap. I doubt there will be. The mystery to me is why none of the door locks, power windows radio etc. work. all fuses are good, new battery. Neither of the key fobs will open a locked door or lock an open door. No horn trunk latch either. Ok thanks I'll let you know.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
did this happen after the new battery was installed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no this happened prior to the new battery. Since the car was build September 05 I decided to change the battery regardless. I got an AC delco direct replacement.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

ok . Just checking if it is anti theft related.

there are a few other parts that could cause this issue

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no power to starter when assistant trys to start car. also the information center shows dashes instead of values.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

the best way to check the fuses would be with a test light. how did you check them?

you may have a bad BCM(body control module)

this is where a scanner is needed. Checking codes helps in diagnosis.

I have seen issues with the wire harness near the trans short out and cause all kinds of problems.

let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fuses I thought were related to my problem I checked visually. I don't have a scanner. can I check the body control module without one. I do have a volt meter and continuity meter.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

we need to see if there are codes and if the BCM is communicating to the ECM.That would require a scanner like the TECH2 the dealer has. we need to check the fuses with a test light or volt meter, sometimes they look good when blown.

we could have a bad starter relay, trans range switch, BCM. A few things to check that really need a scanner. you could swap the starter relay and even try to start with trans in neutral.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ironmike, over the weekend my mechanic friend stopped over and plugged in a small device under the dash but wasn't able to learn much from his search for codes. He did check all the fuses with test light and asked alot of questions. The fuses checked out ok and in the end his diagnosis was the same as yours BCM but also mentioned it could be any of the modules since they are all tied together. So I'm having the car towed to a dealer who has the equipment to deal with computer problems. If you're interrested I'll let you know what was found. thanks for your help.
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.

please let me know.

I hope it is a cheap fix

ironmike, ASE Master tech
Experience: 30 years ASE Master L1 GM certified