Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

my 2004 chevy tahoe stalls completely after about 4 to 5 hours

my 2004 chevy tahoe stalls completely after about 4 to 5 hours of highway driving,after the first time it can happen anytime.it has been after going thru a city with a traffic backup or two then when you get back on the open road it stalls
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Do you have a check engine light on?
When the vehicle stalls does it restart? Or does it have to cool off before starting again?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the check engine light came on once and stayed on thru restarting until the next day i started it in the morning and the light stayed off.sometimes it needs to cool of for obout 5 minutes and sometimes it starts right back up
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX issue like this is a bit difficult to diagnose, simply because you have to duplicate the problem for any faults to be found.
Since there are no codes right now, I will give you some instructions to try once the vehicle stalls again.

Now, from my expierence this problem sounds like a crankshaft position sensor problem. On many vehicle's not just Chevy, when a crankshaft sensor warms up, the communication between it and the pcm becomes erratic and the vehicle will stall.
Usually waiting a couple minutes clears the problem and the veihcle again is running like it should. So when the vehicle stalls, try checking the sensor for producing a/c voltage while cranking. If not, replace it.
Also do you have a scan too?
What size engine is this? I will show some pics of this sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont have any way to check these sensors the people at the repair shop cant take it for a 4 to 5 hour ride and thats when the problem starts,it has the 5.3 v8 no flex fuel
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the problem about the shop not being able to drive for 4 hours.
That being known the shop likely just can't help.
In a case like this I would recommend just replacing the crank sensor.
\

CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure whenever the crankshaft position sensor is removed or replaced.

1. Remove the starter.
  2. Disconnect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor electrical connector.

1. Clean the area around the CKP sensor before removal in order to avoid debris from entering the engine.
  2. Remove the CKP sensor bolt.
  3. Remove the CKP sensor.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the CKP sensor. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the CKP sensor bolt. Tighten the bolt to 25 N.m (18 lb ft) .

1. Connect the CKP sensor electrical connector.
  2. Install the starter.
  3. Perform the CKP system variation learn procedure

SERVICE PROGRAMMING SYSTEM (SPS)

For step by step programming instructions, please refer to the techline information system (TIS) terminal.

Review the information below to ensure proper programming protocol.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT program a control module unless you are directed by a service procedure or you are directed by a General Motors Corporation service bulletin. Programming a control module at any other time will not permanently correct a customer's concern.

It is essential that the Tech 2 and the TIS terminal are both equipped with the latest software before performing service programming system (SPS).

Some modules will require additional programming/setup events performed before or after programming.

Review the appropriate service information for these procedures.

Ensure the following conditions are met before programming a control module:

• Vehicle system voltage
  • There is not a charging system concern. All charging system concerns must be repaired before programming a control module.
  • Battery voltage is greater than 12 volts but less than 16 volts . The battery must be charged before programming the control module if the battery voltage is low.
  • A battery charger is NOT connected to the vehicle's battery. Incorrect system voltage or voltage fluctuations from a battery charger, may cause programming failure or control module damage.
  • Turn OFF or disable any system that may put a load on the vehicle's battery, such as the following components:
  • Twilight sentinel
  • Interior lights
  • Daytime running lights (DRL)-Applying the parking brake, on most vehicles, disables the DRL system. Refer to the Owner's Data.
  • Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems
  • Cooling System fans, radio, etc.
  • The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.
  • Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:
  • The control module Serial Data Link Tester
  • The RS-232 communication cable port
  • The connection at the data link connector (DLC)
  • The voltage supply circuits
  • DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.
  • DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone