GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2006 silverado 1500: with the manual dual climate control..automatic

I have a 2006 silverado 1500 with the manual dual climate control and am wondering what it would take to switch it to automatic climate control?
Thanks
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Welcome. We are in live chat.

Customer :

so can it be done?

GM Tech (Cam) :

It is difficult. The wiring, plugs, module, ducting are all different.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The auto system has temp sensors through out the dash and an inside air temp sensor in the headliner.

GM Tech (Cam) :

You would need to run all that wiring, change the duct then get a VIN that has the AUTO system and program it all. \

GM Tech (Cam) :

Honestly, I do not think it is worth the expense to get this feature but it is possible.

Customer :

oh boy, I was hoping for something a little closer to plug and play

Customer :

one more thing, I would like to switch out my "jumper seat" in front and replace it with a center console. How intense is this swap?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The full console?

GM Tech (Cam) :

the requires differend dash trim on the lower side, plus the wiring .

GM Tech (Cam) :

To get it in, you need to remove the front seats and that is about it.

GM Tech (Cam) :

IF you could get the cab of a wrecked truck that ahs all this, then it may be cheaper.

Customer :

yes, ebay has one with everything including the glove box

Customer :

how much wiring would i need to change

Customer :

also a little worried about the vent/ duct that connects to the console and brings the air to the rear

GM Tech (Cam) :

As you should be. The duct will need to be changed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I think it is just th outter trim like the glove box and so on. YOu would also need the different hush panel under the passengers side.

Customer :

hush panel?

Customer :

This is from a wreck, so I can get whatever I need. I just need to be able to tell him what all that is. Can you help with a list?

Customer :

Thanks a ton! It all make sense except the headliner wiring and the roof wiring? I don't think I will do the automatic climate swap, just the center console. (not to be confused with an overhead console) Will I still need the temp sensors?

Customer :

Also, HVAC module?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The inside air temp sensor sits in the headliner above the drivers head so you need to add the wiring for that.

Customer :

I will not have an inside air temp if i keep my manual climate control, at least I don't have it right now. So still same list, or list minus the temp sensor and the headliner wiring/ roof harness?

Customer :

aperator???

Customer :

HVAC module?????

Customer :

Yes that sounds way more intense than just installing the center console alone. Thanks for all your help.

Customer :

any other words of advice you can think of?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Honestly, what I said before, not worth the money, but that is my personal opinion

Customer :

yes I agree. Thanks again

GM Tech (Cam) :

You are welcome.