ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech ,chev dealer tech
10832065

Wiper Blades just stopped working

I was driving in torrential rain tonight on expressway and my wipers just stopped in up position (very dangerous). I drive 2007 Chevy Impala. I will be taking my car in to be fixed tomorrow morning. the fuses were fine. Would you suggest this is more likely to be a Wiper Motor or Wiper Transmission issue?

I have read articles - is there any recall to this issue? What time (labor) and potential cost would I expect to make this repair
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 6 years ago.

First do this:

This condition may be caused by a bent park tab on the windshield wiper motor bracket.

Correction

To correct this condition, replace the wiper motor bracket. It will be necessary to transfer the following parts listed below to the new bracket.
• Wiper transmission
• Wiper motor crank arm

• Wiper motor

1. Remove the windshield wiper motor drive system module. Refer to Wiper Drive System Module Replacement (SI Document ID #818798) .
  2. Remove the windshield wiper transmission from the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to Wiper Transmission Replacement (SI Document ID #818797) .
  3. Remove the wiper motor crank arm from the windshield wiper motor. Refer to Wiper Motor Crank Arm Replacement (SI Document ID #818984).
  4. Remove the windshield wiper motor from the bracket. Refer to Wiper Motor Replacement (SI Document ID #818796).
  5. Install the windshield wiper motor to the new bracket. Refer to Wiper Motor Replacement (SI Document ID #818796).
  6. Install the wiper motor crank arm to the windshield wiper motor. Refer to Wiper Motor Crank Arm Replacement (SI Document ID #818984).
  7. Install the windshield wiper transmission to the windshield wiper motor bracket. Refer to Wiper Transmission Replacement (SI Document ID #818797).
  8. Install the windshield wiper motor drive system module. Refer to Wiper Drive System Module Replacement (SI Document ID #818798).

Parts Information

Part Number
12368639

Description
Bracket

If this does not work, replace your wiper module. There were many problems with these in the past and is most likely the problem here. The module sits on top of the wiper motor and takes about 5 minutes to replace.

Edited by ASEMaster35yrs on 7/7/2010 at 5:31 AM EST