Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications

1997 Chevy Lumina pimary lower brake lights dont work. Third

Customer Question

1997 Chevy Lumina pimary lower brake lights don't work. "Third light" (up in back window) works fine. All turn signal indicators work. Tail, license and back-up lights all work. Grounds to brake lights are verified both by operation of the other associated lights in each socket and by metering them out. Since "3rd light" works it seems to me that the problem would not be the switch by the brake pedal.
In the harness to (back by) tail lights I see the following wires: Yellow = Left turn, Green = Rt turn, Brown that splits into 5 = (2) tail, (2) side running lights & (1) license plate light, Black = ground, White = I guess brake and Red = no clue. "3rd Light" has two bulbs (both work) one has just 1 Balck & 1 White and other one has 1 Black and 2 Whites.
Is the 2nd White the branch feed for the brake lights? What's the Red?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.
Hi, the most common problem with the brake lights is the multi-function switch that includes the turn signal lever. The brake lights run through the switch, but the third brake light doesnt. It is on a separate circuit. You can look for the white wire that comes from the stop lamp switch, it will power up when you press the pedal. This wire if you follow it will go to the large connector at the bottom of the steering column. It then travels up through the switch and comes back down to the same connector. I believe it is also a white wire. Press on the pedal and check for power at both white wires, at the big connector. If you only have power on one then the switch inside the column is bad. If you have power on both, then your problem is further back on the car. If one wire only has power you can momentarily use a fused jumper wire in between both wires and see if the rear brake lamps light. Let me know if i can help you further. Please click on accept if this has helped. Thanks, Eric