Hal
Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,
39646262

How do I get the spare tire to hoist form the secondary latch?

How do I get the spare tire to release from the secondary latch on my 2006 Chevy Silverado?

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.

This problem can be very frustrating to get undone. The purpose for the second latch is for when the cable breaks it won't let the tire fall off. Unfortunately, the latch rusts and will not operate properly.

You have to hold up the tire with another jack on both sides to take the pressure off the cable.

Let about 6" of cable out and at the bottom of the latch, you will see a sleeve. Working the sleeve up into the latch and moving the latch up and down should release it. Use lots of WD 40 to lube the latch. It is not an easy task. A lot of times we have to cut the cable and replace the hoist, if it too rusted to release.

Here is the instructions from the service manual.

The key is to get the sleeve to move up, this is what releases the latch.

Tire Hoist Secondary Latch Mechanism

Important: If the spare tire hoist has been fully raised without a spare tire in place, the secondary latch mechanism may have engaged. If this has occurred, the hoist will not lower and the following steps will need to be followed:

Object Number:(###) ###-#### *****: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

1. Rotate the hoist shaft counterclockwise until approximately 15 cm (6 in) of cable (1) is exposed.
  2. While holding the latch pin (3), fully depress the latch button (2) and release the secondary latch from the hoist assembly. Some side-to-side and/or up-and-down movement may be necessary to disengage the latch mechanism.
  3. Continue rotating the hoist shaft counterclockwise in order to lower the hoist the rest of the way.
  4. If this does not release the secondary latch, the spare tire hoist will need to be replaced. See the following procedure.

Removal Procedure

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was not able to see the two links you sent in your answer, because it said I was "not authorized to view this information". But, I will give what you said a try and hopefully it will save me a trip into a dealership to have it removed. Thanks for the help.

I am sorry the link did not show. The weight of the tire is what is suppose to push up on the button in the latch. When it gets rusted it cant move it to release it. Spray it down good to loosen it up, and tap with a screw driver and hammer on the center bushing.

I will try to send the info again a different way.

• Rotate the hoist shaft counterclockwise until approximately 15 cm (6 in) of cable (1) is exposed.
  • While holding the latch pin (3), fully depress the latch button (2) and release the secondary latch from the hoist assembly. Some side-to-side and/or up-and-down movement may be necessary to disengage the latch mechanism.
  • Continue rotating the hoist shaft counterclockwise in order to lower the hoist the rest of the way.
  • If this does not release the secondary latch, the spare tire hoist will need to be replaced. See the following procedure.Spare tire removal