cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech

Monte Carlo: My power sunroof will not close all the way

Customer Question

I have a 2000 SS Monte Carlo. My power sunroof will not close all the way. It opens fine. When I go to close it moves freely and when it gets to the point of sliding down and in, it stops. It is like it thinks it is close when it should be sliding down. Before this problem, the sunroof does not leak. Any ideas
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 6 years ago.
first check the tracks for any debre in it if there is nothing in the track then the problem is in the track the plastic that releases the sunroof to lower are broken the sunroof will need replaced
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i went out and did not see anything in the tracks. I tried to close it agian and this time it closed without any problems. I open and closed it about 5 times without any problems. The sunroof did this to me a couple of weeks ago, I just thought it was a fluk should i be worried could the switch be bad/
Expert:  cartech replied 6 years ago.
no not the switch the track is failing it wont be long and you wont get it closed and it will be stuck open
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a hard time beleiving the track is failing. the car only has 70k miles on it and it has be taken care of very well. How much is a new track?
Expert:  cartech replied 6 years ago.
well im sorry you have a hard time believe that i do allot of sunroofs that have a lot less miles on it they are not very good quality i don't buy new they are way to expensive i would get used you can check at this is from experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Could it just be the contacts are dirty and need to be cleaned? I just really dont see how tracks go bad without any notice.

Expert:  cartech replied 6 years ago.
if it stops at the same location when it is closing before it comes down no its the track if it stops in different spots then sure it can be the switch