JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

2000 malibu how to change fuel pump and filter

Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

TOOL REQUIRED
J 39765 fuel sender lock nut tool.

CAUTION: In order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury that may result from a fuel leak, always replace the fuel sender gasket when reinstalling the fuel sender assembly.

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure . See: Fuel Pressure Release\Service and Repair
  2. Drain the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Draining Procedure . See: Fuel Tank\Service and Repair\Fuel Tank Draining
  3. Remove the fuel tank (4). IMPORTANT:
    • The modular fuel sender assembly may spring up from its position.
    • When removing the modular fuel sender assembly from the fuel tank, be aware that the reservoir bucket is full of fuel. The reservoir must be tipped slightly during removal to avoid damage to the float. Discard the fuel sender O-ring and replace the O-ring with a new one.
    • Carefully discard the reservoir fuel into an approved container.
  1. With the J 39765 fuel sender lock nut tool, press down and rotate the cam lock ring (1) until free of the fuel sender retaining tabs.
  2. Remove the modular fuel sender assembly.
  3. Remove the fuel level sensor.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the fuel level sensor.
  2. Install the O-ring on the fuel tank (4).
  3. Align the fuel lines parallel with the mark on the fuel tank.
  4. Slowly apply pressure to top of the spring loaded sender until the sender aligns flush with the retainer on tank. IMPORTANT: Be sure that the cam lock ring is fully seated within the tab slots.
  5. Install the cam lock ring using J39765 fuel sender lock nut tool.
  6. Install the fuel tank (4).
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Refill the fuel tank and install the fuel filler cap. CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
  10. Inspect for fuel leaks using the following procedure:
10.1.Turn ON the ignition, for 2 seconds .
10.2.Turn OFF the ignition, for 10 seconds .
10.3.Turn ON the ignition.
10.4.Inspect for fuel leaks.

graphic

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
The fuel filter is located under the rear of the car, rearward of the fuel tank. There is no service interval for the fuel filter replacement. Replacement is required only if the fuel filter becomes restricted.

IMPORTANT:

• Always maintain cleanliness when servicing fuel system components.
  • There is no service interval for in-pipe fuel filter replacement. Only replace the in-pipe fuel filter if it is restricted.
  1. Relieve fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure . See: Fuel Pressure Release\Service and Repair
  2. If metal collar quick connect fittings are used, Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Metal Collar) . See: Powertrain Management\Fuel Delivery and Air Induction\Fuel Line Coupler\Service and Repair
  3. Raise vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General information.
  4. Disconnect the quick-connect fitting at the inlet of the in-pipe fuel filter.
  5. Disconnect the threaded fitting at the outlet of the in-pipe fuel filter.
  6. Drain any remaining fuel into an approved gasoline container.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Remove protective caps from new filter.
  2. Install the fuel filter fitting using new O-ring in same position as old filter.
  3. Connect the quick-connect fitting at the inlet of the in-pipe fuel filter. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  4. Connect the threaded fitting at the outlet of the in-pipe fuel filter. Tighten Use a back-up wrench in order to prevent the in-pipe fuel filter from turning. Tighten the in-pipe fuel filter outlet nut to 27 N.m (20 lb ft) .
  5. Lower vehicle.
  6. Tighten the fuel filler cap.
  7. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  8. Inspect for fuel leaks.

8.1.Turn ON the ignition for 2 seconds .
8.2.Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds .
8.3.Turn ON the ignition.
8.4.Inspect for fuel leaks.

graphic

JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech