BOBBYSS, Master Technician

2003 GMC Duramax throwing code P0404 randomly. Also a noise

2003 GMC Duramax throwing code P0404 randomly. Also a noise from under the hood like a squeaky belt or pulley. It is a California vehicle. EGR?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER, does the vehicle smoke or lack power also?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does not seem to, just passed California smog test and then later that day started this. it seems to do it more frequently at long idle or low speeds not at freeway speeds. 160k miles. New glow plugs and fuel injector pump in the last 6 months.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
Okay. This is typically a problem with the EGR valve. If the valve is simply dirty then this can happen. I would remove it and clean it out to see if that will clear up the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this difficult to clean or replace? I do ok around cars but do not want to make the problem worse.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
It does require the removal of a quite a few parts to be able to access it. I can give you some instructions on doing it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you could that would be great. This is my first time on this site or any site like this blog or what ever it is called so if I am asking to much or need to pay more let me know.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 years ago.
I am having a little trouble pulling up my pictures. Guve me a little bit and I will get the info to you.