GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500: gas tank..engine codes P0442, 446, and 445

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500. I have had problems with gas tank not venting while filling causing frequent pump shut offs before tank is full. I have got engine codes P0442, 446, and 445. How can I fix this problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

This code, P0446 is usually caused by a plugged EVAP solenoid. This solenoid has a filter in it that can get full of dirt and allow that dirt to flow to the canister which will block the air flow and set this code. The repair is to replace the solenoid with the updated valve and use 5/8 heater hose to relocate the filter portion to the underhood area away from the dirt. You will also need to clean the canister out. To do this, take it out, remove the hoses and use low pressure compressed air into the 2 smaller ports while tapping on the entire housing with a screw driver handle until the air is clean.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is this canister located at? Is this solonoid a part I can pick up at a auto parts store? Would this solve my problem of gas tank not filling correctly or just clear the 446 code.
The canister is above the drive shaft beside the tank and the valve is on the back of the tank. Yes this will fix the refueling issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last question and I'll be satisfied. Are there any hazards I should be aware of while removing these parts? Any gas vapor to worry about igniting?
I would do this with plenty of fresh air , good ventilation, and not smoke around it, but otherwise no.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the answers. More info than the service department where I bought the truck at would or could supply. If you have any diagrams or links to diagrams to show me exact locations of parts I would greatly appreciate it.

You will have no issues finding these parts. The valve is literlally on the back of the fuel tank and the lines go from there to the cansister, a bit forward and above the drive shaft.