Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

1998 chevy blazer: few seconds..security light flash..alarm

Customer Question

I have a 1998 chevy blazer and the thing wont stay running but for a few seconds. I replaced just about everything . The security light flash on in off but I dont believe it has any kind of alarm on it.do you have any ideals?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, yes with on/off security light your vehicle does have an alrm system per say. It is called "Passkey" . there is a micro chip built into the key and a svery small chip reader built into the lock tumbler. the reader reads the key and if correct chip is read, the truck will start. What it does is diable the fule injector. You get the intial shot of fuel but the injectors shut off and truck stalls, light flashes etc.. You have one of a few problems. Either bad key, bad chip reader ( lock tumbler), or more in depth with computer,. The most common failure is the lock tumbler. there are 2 VERY small wires that run from the lock tumbler down inside of coulmn and sometims one will break over time. This is NOT always the case but does happen. The other most coomon is the lock tumbelr/key. You would have to buy new tumbler/key that are programmed from the parts store and install them. To change the lock tumbler , see below. I am near 100% sure it is the anti theft preventing running. You have all the symptoms

GNITION LOCK CYLINDER REPLACEMENT - ON VEHICLE

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
  1. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds. Refer to "Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement".
  2. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the start position.
  3. Using an awl, insert the tip into the ignition lock cylinder access hole (1).
  4. Push down and hold the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin.
  5. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the run position.
  6. Remove the ignition lock cylinder by pulling the ignition lock cylinder away from the steering column (2).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the ignition lock cylinder by doing the following procedure:
    1. Align the positioning locking tab slot on the lock module assembly (1) to the positioning tab on the ignition lock cylinder.
    2. Push the lock cylinder in until the locking tab locks in the lock module assembly (1).
  1. Install the upper and lower steering column shrouds. Refer to "Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement".
  2. Perform the PASSLOCK learn procedure. Refer to "PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I REPLACE MY STIRING CULOMDE AND KEY SO MY SECURITY SYSTEM IS ON. now what do I have do ,do to get it to stay run ning now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
You did not mention this. What exactly did you replace
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the whole steering column from a junk yard out of 2002 S-10 and put in my 98 Blazer. And that is probably why the security is on and it won't start. If I go back to the junkyard and take the brain box from the 2002 S-10, will it work to start up my Blazer?
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
There are 2 procedures. the auto learn and the key/seed. the auto learn you can do but key and seed requires a scanner. You can try the auto learn, It may work but read it a couple times and be sure you understand 100% before you do it or you could lock the system out if step not done correctly. To use the other ECM will not be the solve as that ecm will not match the engine etc and will cause other problems as well. you ahve to reprogramm the one you have to new column. Try the auto learn OR you will have to have shop do so on scanner. Unhook the NEG side of battery for 60 seconds to clear any possible codes berfore you start

he following is the Auto Learn Procedure:
  1. Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.
  2. Clear all EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM DTCs. Record and refer any VCM/PCM DTCs to "Diagnostic System Check". See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection
  3. Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
  4. Wait 10 minutes . Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:
    • If the PASSLOCK sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
    • If the EVO/PASSLOCK module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
    • If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
    • If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
  1. The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds .
  3. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the PASSLOCK sensor, EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM. The new password XXXXX XXXXX on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).