Hal
Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,
39646262

6.6duramax p0087 p1093 p1094 lack of power hard accel some

Customer Question

6.6duramax p0087 p1093 p1094 lack of power hard accel some black smoke
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

there is a common problems with the fuel injectors causing these codes and lack of power

there is a TSB from Chevy on changing out the injectors

click here to view this TSB

I would contact Chevy and see what they can do for you on this

let me know if you need more help

thanks

Paul

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
had 8 new inj installed 3 mons ago had a ford 7.3 did same thing turned out to be supply pump

I will open the question to see if any other experts have an idea for you

thanks

Paul

Expert:  Hal replied 6 years ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX

I under stand from your post that you have already had the injectors replaced, and now are still setting codes that are similar to injector failure codes. correct?

You also mentioned that the fuel filter is hard to get primed.

Does it just feel soft all the time , or when you try to pump it , it sticks down and doesn't return to full up position?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does feels soft sometimes does not stick truck runs ok till i acell full throttle then it noses over
Expert:  Hal replied 6 years ago.

The suction side of the fuel system can cause this if a hose is pinched/kinked. The same exact trouble codes will set because the pump cannot get fuel PIP 4526 bulletin explains this from GM . Check all the rubber lines( cut off the outer foam cover to inspect) .

The most likely one to kink is the hose from the fuel injection control module to the fuel filter inlet on rt side of engine. Check all rubber lines, from tank to engine.

I have seen the pumps do this also, but not have the (hard to prime fuel filter ) concern.

If you can have someone hook up a bidirectional scan tool where they can control fuel pressure. Have them ramp up the pressure to 160 MPA ( 2250 psi )If it reaches this pressure then the pump is not your problem.

Injector replacement is a major job, and things sometimes don't get put back in the correct place. I would concentrate on the rubber lines on top of the engine.

I also assume since you are having a hard time priming the filter that you have already installed a new filter.

Verify there are NO air leaks at the filter housing to. This sounds more like a restriction than an air leak though.

If you need more info, PLEASE ask and i will help.

Tanks HAL

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
had tech run fuel del presure test says fuel pressure des with scan tool should be 2500 only 1200/1300 like i said runs but acts likes starving for fuel sorry i didnt get back too you yesterday
Expert:  Hal replied 6 years ago.

Did he also check the low pressure side with vacuum gauge? You have to cut open the foam cover over the supply hose to fuel filter to see the rubber hose.

If all the hoses are good. and suction side vacuum is 3 1/2 ". and the injectors have already been replaced, then all thats left is the pump.

A return rate test should be performed just to make sure the new injectors are not returning too much fuel ,resulting in a low fuel pressure reading. 16 ml per bank Max.35-38 API specific gravity 20 ml max 39-42 Ap specific gravity. If that is good then it is definitely the pump.

Fuel filter vacuum should be 3 1/2 "- 4 1/2 " max at idle ,If it is higher then the problem is in your supply side . Fix that first, then recheck the high pressure side max fuel pressure. has to reach 160 MPA. If it can't get the fuel volume to the pump the pump can't build the pressure.(like sucking air, pump cavitates)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if fuel inj pump is the problem im going to have to wait dont have 2200.00 to fix it thks for your help
Expert:  Hal replied 6 years ago.
Wow thats allot for a pump replace. Pump should run about $1000. and labor 450-600 depending on labor rate 5.@ hrs for installation. O, forgot about sales tax. We don't have sales tax here in Montana.
Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience: ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,