Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do you replace the blower motor on a 005 chevy cobalt

Customer Question

how do you replace the blower motor on a 005 chevy cobalt
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

• Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.graphic
  • Remove the lower blower motor cover retaining screws.

• Remove the lower blower motor cover.graphic
  • Remove the blower motor nuts.graphic
  • Remove the blower motor and cup from the lower case by cutting through the case between the circular ribs around the motor with a sharp utility knife. IMPORTANT: Cut through the case as straight as possible because the motor cup must be replaced. In order to prevent damage to the component, do not cut any deeper than necessary to remove the motor cup.
  • Release the blower motor retaining tab and remove the motor from the cup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see 2 screws. I see 2 of what I would discibe as plugs that may snap in place but i"m not sure if that is what they are. There in a hole next to each of them that I put a small phillips in and cant feel a screw
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

They should be 7mm bolts, not screws. If you click "View Full Image" on the images above, you'll get a larger, close-up view. I've given these directions before to several other customers with great success.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a 2005 chevy cobalt you are talking about?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Yes.

Tell you what... I will opt-out and forward you to another Tech who may better assist you. Sorry for the inconvenience. Sit tight one sec, some will be right with you...

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, there was a slight change in design. The plugs you see are what are called heat stakes and have to be cut off with a chisel. The new blower motor is supposed to come with 2 retaining screws that will be installed in their place. Give me a minute to upload full procedure

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, below are full directions:

• Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.
    graphic

• Remove the lower blower motor cover heat stakes (1) with a small chisel.
    graphic

• Remove the lower blower motor cover.
    graphic

• Remove the blower motor nuts.
    graphic

Important: Cut through the case as straight as possible because the motor cup must be reused. In order to prevent damage to the component, do not cut any deeper than necessary to remove the motor cup.

• Remove the blower motor and cup from the lower case by cutting through the case between the circular ribs around the motor with a sharp utility knife.
    graphic

•  

graphic

1. Install the blower motor (1) into the motor cup (2) that was cut out of the lower case.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

2. Install the blower motor nuts (3).

Tighten
      Tighten the nuts to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).

3. Attach the service ring (4) to the motor cup (2) with the screws (5) included in the kit.

Tighten
      Tighten the screws to 1.8 N·m (15 lb in).

4. Install the blower motor and service ring into the HVAC module using the screws (5) included in the kit. Make certain the blower motor electrical connector is pointing rearward in the vehicle.

Tighten

graphic

5. Install the lower blower motor cover.
    6. Install the lower blower motor cover retaining screws.

Tighten

graphic

7. Connect the blower motor electrical connector
    Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, below are full directions:

graphic
    View Full Image

graphic
    View Full Image

• Remove the lower blower motor cover.
    graphic
    View Full Image

• Remove the blower motor nuts.
    graphic
    View Full Image

graphic
    View Full Image

graphic
      View Full Image

2. Install the blower motor nuts (3).

Tighten
      Tighten the nuts to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).

Tighten

Tighten

graphic
      View Full Image

Tighten

graphic
      View Full Image

• Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Relist: anybody can look at it and see 2 bolts and take them off but this person didn't seem to understand that i didn't see 2 7mm bolts for the cover like the diagram he sent.
    anybody can look at it and see 2 bolts and take them off but this person didn't seem to understand that i didn't see 2 7mm bolts for the cover like the diagram he sent
    Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

I am another expert. Did you not read my two posts explaining that there was a slight design change and that there are 2 HEAT STAKES(plastic rivets) that you have to cut off with a chisel?

Here is the post again:

Ok, below are full directions:

graphic
    View Full Image

graphic
    View Full Image

• Remove the lower blower motor cover.
    graphic
    View Full Image

• Remove the blower motor nuts.
    graphic
    View Full Image

graphic
    View Full Image

graphic
      View Full Image

2. Install the blower motor nuts (3).

Tighten
      Tighten the nuts to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).

Tighten

Tighten

graphic
      View Full Image

Tighten

graphic
      View Full Image

•  

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The design change was mid production and so not all manuals show this, and not all 2005 cobalts are like this. some have the plastic rivets and some have the bolts

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any other questions on this since getting the new directions?

Edited by eric on 6/18/2010 at 9:57 PM EST