Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

trying to replace clutch on 2000 chevy s-10 5-speed, cant

trying to replace clutch on 2000 chevy s-10 5-speed, can't get to upper 4 bolts on transmission...the 2 on each side are to close to the firewall, can't get to them even tipping back of tranmission, VIN GCCS1446YK159731. Can't find tranmission type to replace fluid that ran out while tipping. Exhaust, drivetrain, support bracket,connectors off. Seems like engine is about 6" too close to fire wall to access and remove upper bolts
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
is this a 4wd?is the engine a 4.3 or a 2.2?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2.2 engine,XXXXX

ok

you may need to jack the transmission up all the way against the floor pan..then take these bolts out with a wrench from the top...though, we get these from the bottom by letting the trans fall all the way back..with a wobble extension

thanks

Transmission Assembly Removal and Replacement

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Shift the transmission into the 3rd or 4th mechanical gear position.
  2. Remove the shift lever.
  3. Remove the shift housing.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the park brake cable.
  6. Remove the propeller shaft.
  7. Disconnect the wiring harness connectors from the vehicle speed sensor and back up switch.
  8. Disconnect the wiring harness retainers from the right side of the transmission.
  9. Remove the muffler from the catalytic converter.
  10. Remove the exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifold.
  11. Remove the catalytic converter hanger.

1. Remove three bolts, two nuts and washers securing the transfer case shield to the frame rail and transmission (If the vehicle is equipped with four wheel drive).

1. Remove two bolts securing right side brace to the engine and transmission.
  2. Remove two bolts and a nut securing the left side brace to the engine and transmission.
  3. Remove the transfer case, if equipped.

1. Disconnect the hydraulic clutch line quick connect from the concentric slave cylinder.
  2. Use special tool J 36221 to depress the white plastic sleeve on the quick connect to separate the clutch line end from the concentric slave cylinder quick connect.

1. Remove four bolts securing the clutch housing cover to the transmission.
  2. Remove the clutch plate and clutch cover from the flywheel.
  3. Support the transmission with a jack.
  4. Remove the fuel lines and fuel line retainers from the rear crossmember.
  5. Remove the rear crossmember from the frame rail.
  6. Remove the wiring harness from the front crossmember.
    • Move the wiring harness away from the transmission oil pan.
    • Lower the transmission enough to gain access to the top of the transmission.
  1. Remove the fuel line retainers from the top of the transmission.

1. Remove the bolt, washer, and nut securing the wiring harness ground wires to the engine block.
  2. Remove five bolts securing the transmission to the engine.
    • Pull the transmission straight back on the clutch hub splines.
  1. Lower the transmission using the transmission jack.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Raise the transmission using the transmission jack.
  2. Place the fuel line retainers on top of the transmission.
  3. Install the transmission to the engine and secure with bolts.
    • Push the transmission straight back onto the clutch hub splines.
    • Tighten the transmission to the engine bolts to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the bolt, washer and nut securing the wiring harness ground wires to the engine block.
  2. Install the hydraulic clutch line to the concentric slave cylinder quick connect.
  3. Install two bolts securing the transmission right side brace to the engine and transmission
    • Tighten the right side brace bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install two bolts and a nut securing the transmission left side brace to the engine and transmission
    • Tighten the left side brace bolts and nut to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the catalytic converter hanger and exhaust section.
  2. Install the exhaust pipes to the exhaust manifold.
  3. Connect the muffler to the catalytic converter.
  4. Install the wiring harness retainers to the right side of the transmission.
  5. Install the wiring harness connectors to the vehicle speed sensor and back up switch.
  6. Install the propeller shaft.
  7. Install the park brake cable.
  8. Install the shift housing.
  9. Install the shift lever.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what kind of transmission fluid does it take?

hi...sorry i am a little slow

Fluid - M/T
Transmission Fluid 2.0L (2.2 Qt)

Type Synchromesh Fluid GM P/N 12345349 or Equivalent

Fluid - M/T
Transmission Fluid Synchromesh Fluid

Fluid Replacement

• Tools Required
  • J36511 Oil Fill/Drain Plug Hex Bit (17 MM)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle.

1. Using J36511, remove the oil fill and drain plugs. Catch the oil in a suitable container.

Installation Procedure

1. Apply sealant to the oil drain plug threads. Use sealant GM P/N 12346004 or the equivalent.
  2. Using J36511, install the oil drain plug.
    • Tighten the oil drain plug to 60 Nm (44 ft. lbs.) .

1. Fill the transmission to the level of the fill plug hole. Refer to Lubrication Specifications.
  2. Apply sealant to the oil fill plug threads. Use sealant GM P/N 12346004 or the equivalent.
  3. Using J36511, install the oil fill plug.
    • Tighten the oil fill plug to 60 Nm (44 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Lower the vehicle.
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.