GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

99 chevrolet: replaced fuel pump..it cranks..acceleration..hooked

Customer Question

replaced fuel pump on 99 chevrolet express van. it cranks now but no acceleration. Everything is hooked up correctly...any ideas
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello

GM Tech (Cam) :

My name is Cam.

GM Tech (Cam) :

We are in Live chat.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the pump run when you try to start?

Customer:

yes. the vehicle will crank now...just no acceleration

Customer:

idle no problem. when throttle is applied it coughs out of intake.

Customer:

you still there?

GM Tech (Cam) :

YEs, sorry, the chat is still in testing and it is not without its bugs.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did you replace the pump to correct this issue?

Customer:

I replaced pump because vehicel stopped running and would not crank. It cranks now, idles fines but will not accelerate.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, when was the last time you changed the cap and rotor?

Customer:

5k ago

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, is the check engine light on?

Customer:

no

GM Tech (Cam) :

HAve you checked the exhaust for restrictions?

Customer:

no restrictions...the vehicle ran fine until yesterday when it would not crank. I checked for fuel pressure from the schrader valve on the rail...no pressure so I replaced the fuel pump this morning. After instalation of new fuel pump the vehicle cranked right up idles great but when I give it throttle it wants to die

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, very helpful. did you replace the fitler as well?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

no i didnt and it is a gm part

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, Please confirm the pressure when it is doing it.

Customer:

ok have you ever heard of a new pump dropping pressure like that out of the box

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes. more than once.

Customer:

ok would you agre that when it pops out of the intake when you are trying to acelerate that it would be leaning out or dropping pressure

GM Tech (Cam) :

Also did you check and replace the connector for the pump?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Usually that is the case, yes.

Customer:

ok yes we had to replace the connector decause of the differents in the new and the old pumps

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, just had to be sure.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The only other thing could be the crank sensor, I have seen that.

Customer:

the only reason why i dont think its anything else is that it ran so good before the pump went out

GM Tech (Cam) :

And I would agree it is the pump then.

Customer:

what is the psi going to be on that van

GM Tech (Cam) :

60-66 psi pump only, 55 when running and no lower than 52 0r so, full load.

Customer:

ok