Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Vibration in the front end of my 2004 Silverado (2wd) when braking.

I am getting vibration in the front end of my 2004 Silverado (2wd) when braking. I replaced the front rotors and one of wheel bearings. Still getting shuddering/vibrations. What else can cause this?
Submitted: 6 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
rear brake should not make the front feel the steering wheel shake?will it only shudder at low speeds?high speeds?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I get a bit of a vibration at 50 mph or so, however, the shuddering when braking (don't know if the two are related) is at it's worst when braking from highway speeds
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
any it shakes the steering wheel only when your braking?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yeah, shakes steering wheel only when braking (the whole front end kind if seems to shudder)
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
at this point i would have those rotors machined with an oncar brake lathe.there is obviously excessive lateral run out causing this.allot of time just because the rotors are new they may be not out of round but there could be a few thousands of play in a hub that will cause this.and an on car brake lathe will machine the run out out
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm getting between .001 and .002 of play. That shouldn't be too much should it?
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
no.did it do this before the work was done?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yeah, it was shaking under braking. Put a dial indicator on the rotors and one of them was more than .005 out of spec. Put on new rotors, didn't measure again, but the shake was still there. After realizing the shake was still there, I put the indicator back on again and it was still off. I checked the hub and realized that it was out of true. So I replaced the hub. After all of this, both sides are within .002 of being true.

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
ok that should be ok for lateral run out.with the rotors on the truck there has to be excessive runout some where.and the hubs seem to be within spec.i would either try another set of rotors.or have an oncar brake lathe put on it and have the rotors cut so that the machine cuts out any runout there long as the wheels are torqued properly and there is NO rust at all on the hub surface where the rotor contacts the hub its either the rotors or the lateral run out needs to be cut out with a machine.