John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

how to bleed abs brakes on a 1999 chevy express 1500 van with

how to bleed abs brakes on a 1999 chevy express 1500 van with 4.3 v6 motor.
had front caliber freeze up, replaced caliber, had problem with fluid drained system.
put in new fluid, was able to bleed rear brakes, but can get no fluid to come out of front brakes
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

After draining the system you will need to bleed the antilock system .Here is some info to help you.After this is done the system can be bled.

Antilock Brake System Automated Bleed

Important:

Use the two-person bleed procedure under the following conditions:
- Installing a new Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit (EHCU) or new Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV).
- Air is trapped in the valve body
Do not drive the vehicle until the brake pedal feels firm.
Do not reuse brake fluid that is used during bleeding.
Use the vacuum, the pressure and the gravity bleeding procedures only for base brake bleeding.

1. Raise the vehicle in order to access the system bleed screws.
  2. Bleed the system at the right rear wheel first.
  3. Install a clear hose on the bleed screw.
  4. Immerse the opposite end of the hose into a container partially filled with clean DOT 3 brake fluid.
  5. Open the bleed screw 1/2 to one full turn.
  6. Slowly depress the brake pedal. While the pedal is depressed to its full extent, tighten the bleed screw.
  7. Release the brake pedal and wait 10-15 seconds for the master cylinder pistons to return to the home position.
  8. Repeat the previous steps for the remaining wheels. The brake fluid which is present at each bleed screw should be clean and free of air.
  9. This procedure may use more than a pint of fluid per wheel. Check the master cylinder fluid level every four to six strokes of the brake pedal in order to avoid running the system dry.
  10. Press the brake pedal firmly and run the Scan Tool Function Test four times. Release the brake pedal between each test.
  11. Bleed all four wheels again using Steps 3-9. This will remove the remaining air from the brake system.
  12. Evaluate the feel of the brake pedal before attempting to drive the vehicle.
  13. Bleed the system as many times as necessary in order to obtain the appropriate feel of the pedal.

Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual Bleeding)

If air has entered the hydraulic brake system, bleed the system. You may need to bleed the hydraulic brake system at all four wheels due to one of the following conditions:

Air entered the system due to a low fluid level.
The brake pipes have been disconnected at the master cylinder.
The brake pipes have been disconnected at the combination valve.

If a pipe is disconnected at one wheel, then only bleed that wheel.

If the master cylinder has been removed, bleed the master cylinder before installing it on the vehicle. This will reduce the time required to bleed the system. Notice: Brake fluid will damage electrical connections and painted surfaces. Use shop cloths, suitable containers, and fender covers to prevent brake fluid from contacting these areas. Always re-seal and wipe off brake fluid containers to prevent spills.

Tools Required

Wheel Cylinder Bleeder Wrench

1. If the vehicle has a vacuum booster, apply the brakes several times with the ignition OFF. This relieves the vacuum reserve.
  2. Fill the master cylinder reservoir. Use Delco Supreme 11® Hydraulic Brake Fluid GM P/N 12377967, or equivalent DOT 3 motor vehicle brake fluid.

Maintain the fluid level during bleeding.

3. If the master cylinder has air in the bore, bleed the master cylinder using the following procedure:
    3.1. Disconnect the forward brake pipe connector at the master cylinder
    3.2. Allow the brake fluid to flow from the connector port.
    3.3. Connect the brake pipe connector. Do not tighten the brake pipe connector.
    3.4. Slowly apply the brake pedal. Allow the air to bleed from the loose connector.
    3.5. Tighten the connector before releasing the brake pedal.
    3.6. Wait 15 seconds.
    3.7. Repeat this sequence, including the 15-second wait, until you purge all the air from the master cylinder bore.
    3.8. Repeat this procedure for the rear brake pipe after you purge all the air from the forward pipe connection.
  4. If you replaced the Electronic Brake Control Module system, or if you suspect that air is trapped inside, bleed the Electronic Brake Control Module system next. Bleed each wheel cylinder in the following sequence
    5.1. Right rear wheel cylinder
    5.2. Left rear wheel cylinder
    5.3. Right front wheel caliper
    5.4. Left front wheel caliper
  5. Attach a hose to the wheel cylinder or caliper bleeder valve.
    Object Number: 897  Size: SH

6. Immerse the opposite end of the hose into a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  7. Slowly apply the brake pedal one time and hold.
  8. Loosen the bleeder valve in order to purge the air from the wheel cylinder or caliper.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

9. Tighten the bleeder valve.

Tighten
    Tighten the bleeder valve to 13 N·m (110 lb in).

10. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  11. Wait 15 seconds.
  12. Repeat this sequence, including the 15-second wait, until you purge all the air from the wheel cylinder or caliper.
  13. Repeat steps 6-12 at each wheel until you purge all the air from the brake system.
  14. Check for softness in the brake pedal action. Check the brake warning lamp for an indication of unbalanced pressure. Repeat the bleeding procedure in order to correct either of these conditions.
Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician