GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

CHEVY COLORADO: CYL..THE VENT SOLENOID..FUEL PRESSURE..PRESSURE SENSOR

Customer Question

05 CHEVY COLORADO 5 CYL 3.5 LITRE ENGINE 2X4. I HAVE P0446 CODE DESPITE REPLACING THE VENT SOLENOID AND FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR INSIDE THE TANK. FUEL TANK PRESSURE READS AT -7.2 H2O. WHAT DO I DO?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Greetings and Welcome to Just answer.

Do you drive lots of gravel?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO

This code often sets because the vent does not open. I suggest you check that the system is breathing properly. A plugged EVAP canister will cause this.

Let me ask you, does it take fuel slowly

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NOT THAT I HAVE NOTICED ANY SLOWER FROM MY OTHER CARS

OK, . You need to check the canister for being plugged, and it that is ok, then you need to have the system smoke tested.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IT IS PLUGGED........WHATS A SMOKE TEST

If it is plugged, then replace it.

A smoke test is what we use to check for leaks and flow by injecting nitrogen smoke to see leaks and flow.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHAT I MEANT BY PLUGGED IS THAT VENT SOLENOID TUBE IS PLUGGED IN TO THE CANISTER...............DO YOU MEAN TO SAY CLOGED THEN I DONT KNOW.

Yes clogged.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HOW CAN ONE TELL WHETHER THE CANISTER IS CLOGGED

A smoke test. The system is not letting air through the vent valve to purge the air out of the canister and it sets that code.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ONE MORE THING: THE CATALYST ON THE TRUCK WOULD NOT GET READY EVEN AFTER DRIVING 1500 MILES. IS THERE A RELATIONSHIP TO THE EVAP PROBLEM.

GM DEALER HAS FLASHED THE PCM WITH THE MOST UPDATED PRGRAM 3 WEEKS AGO.

Yes, there likely is.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHY WOULD THE CATALYST PASS OR FAIL AFTER DRIVING THROUGH SO MANY DRIVE CYCLES
The catalyst can fail if the system does not see the proper oxygen sensor readings. Is there a code for the catalyst?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THERE IS NO CODE FOR THE CATALYST.. ONLE CODE THAT COMES UP IS P0446. ALL O2'S ARE PASSING YET CATALYST COMES OUT AS " NOT READY" .

OK, if the evap is not ready, and a code is set such as the P0446, then it will not pass.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CATALYST IS NEITHER FAILING NOR PASSING!

It will not fully run if there is a fault in the EVAP system.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
AS I AM A USED CAR DEALER SO YOU KNOW I GO THROUGH THESE PROBLEMS EXTENSIVELY.....I AM WONDERING WHY 100S OF OTHER CARS WITH PO446 NEVER KEPT THE CATALYST FROM PASSING OR FAILING.

IT depends on the software and PCM. These are a bit of a different beast. I would repair the P0446 and retest.