Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

2005 chevy cobalt: i cant find where its located.can

Customer Question

i need to replace a thermostat in a 2005 chevy colbalt,but i cant find where its located.can you plese help me.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Can you give me engine size? If you are unsure, I can use the 8th digit of your VIN# XXXXX identify.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its my friends car,its at her house .i am on the phone with her ,she says its a 4 cyclinder.she says her vin number is XXXXX
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Can you re-check that VIN#? The 8th digit should either be and "F" or a "P" - you have an "S" there, and there is no "S" engine code for a 2005 Cobalt.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you are right she says its 1g1ak52f857550888
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Ok. Now we're good...

• Drain the cooling system. graphic
  • Remove the bolts that secure the thermostat housing to the water pump feed pipe.graphic
  • Remove the feed pipe.graphic
  • Remove the thermostat and retaining sleeve, noting the orientation for installation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is the thermostat near the front of the motor or back.if i lift the hood up where do i need to start looking for it,also i got to change the coolant sensor also
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

It's at the rear of the motor. Follow the radiator hose from the radiator to the engine.

graphic

• Drain the coolant system to below the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.
  • Disconnect the engine coolant temperature ECT sensor electrical connector.
  • Carefully remove the ECT sensor.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

I was just doing a follow-up to see how you made out? If you have any follow-up questions, please ask! I see you have made a deposit, but have not yet clicked Accept. If you need more help, please ask. If you have made a deposit, but have not clicked Accept, you will still be charged your deposit amount. Just Answer will be paid, however, the Tech that actually helped you, Me, does not! Please support the Techs that bring the quality information and services that make Just Answer the great site that it is! If you are satisfied with my answer and feel it has helped you, please click Accept. If you cannot find the Accept button, simply type "I Accept" in reply to this message.

Thanks in advance!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.
  • Drain the cooling system.
    graphic
    View Full Image
  • Remove the bolts that secure the thermostat housing to the water pump feed pipe.
    graphic
    View Full Image
  • Remove the feed pipe.
    graphic
    View Full Image