Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop forman Chevy Dealer and Tech for over 10 years. Bumper to bumper all makes over 25 years
12331040

how do i clean the egr valve on a 98 chevy blazer

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will use all of the available technical information at my disposal to assist you with your vehicle concern.

As you can see, the EGR is pretty accessible. Once you have it removed, you will want to verify that the ports in the intake are clean. If they are plugged, then further cleaning will be required.

As for the EGR, some Carb cleaner on the pintail and a rag or soft brush {I keep a hard tooth brush and a soft brass bristle brush for those} Depress the pintails and get around the edges.

Replace the EGR and if the gasket is damaged, replace it also. Now, what is prompting you to clean the egr.

Scott.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
An error from a test run at advance when the service engine light came on.

Do you have anymore info than that? A code, an explanation? There are many reasons for an EGR error, including power and command errors.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have the error code with me. It's at the house unfortunately.
That may save you allot of unnecessary work. Keep the post open, and I will check in this evening for you if you would like.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell me where it is? Is it on the top of the engine or the bottom?

Open the hood and look at the front of the engine on top.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you!! You are the best! I am going to recommend you to everyone I know. You were patient, understanding and even got me a picture. thank you for helping me.
My pleasure.