Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop forman Chevy Dealer and Tech for over 10 years. Bumper to bumper all makes over 25 years

Estimated cost to replace timing chain and possibly gears on 1989..L

Estimated cost to replace timing chain and possibly gears on 1989 s-10 pick up 4.3 L engine with a/c?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

The estimate is for aXXXXX It is do the job correctly {drop oil pan} and at $69.00 per hour w/ GM parts. You can figure about a 30% decrease {or more}in parts with after market. Also, many shops will not drop the oil pan, but use a thick film of silicone between the pan and cover. I do not reccommend that, it leaks over time.

Now, I would also replace the water pump if it had not been done in a long while and the thermostat. Pump is just parts, no labor. Has to come off anyway.

Finally, if it is a 4x4, drop rate by about 2.3 hours labor. It is less labor for a 4x4 than a 2wd.