GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

getting a cal err message on radio display. verified sound

getting a "cal err" message on radio display. verified sound from speakers its definitely radio deck issues. manual says take to dealer. i can barely afford to keep the truck let alone pay the dealership. I know theres codes to fix things like stolen radios and such. My dad was the plant supervisor in beaverton , oregon for 38 yrs. he's since passed on and i have no cheap source for help. any chance theres a loyal goodwrench man willing to help struggling construction worker? Sorry about the low offer i shouldnt even be using the credit card. i wanted to add. i disconnected the battery for an hr to see if that would work and it didnt. in fact now the radio doesnt even come on or display anything.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Did you just replace this radio

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.

Unfortunately the CAL ERR is inside the radio and it requires a scan tool to reprogram. There are shops that are not a dealer that can do this programming. There is no code or sequence that I can give you to unlock or fix this. If there was, rest assured I would, but there is not. Sorry.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry i wasnt at my computer. can i ask ? is this scanner just for radios or is it part of one of those code readers? and no, i hadnt even removed the deck. its still the same one.

THis is a full scan tool for the WHOLE vehicle. a simple code reader is not something that can work as they are for the emissions and engine only.