roadsidejerry, auto mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic 39 years, 30 with NYPD Fleet Service Division

1999 Chevy Express Van speedometer issues false readings. Starts

1999 Chevy Express Van speedometer issues false readings. Starts off working good then jumps up to 50 mph very quickly (@5-10 mph), then stays there until I'm going at excessive speeds. Also, needle flickers. How can I fix this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  roadsidejerry replied 6 years ago.

Hi, you need to remove the speed sensor and look inside the trans . Check the speed sensor rotor on the transmission output shaft. It may be loose casing the speed sensor to generate a false signal. here is an illustration,the sensor rotor is #59 in the picture.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it very hard to replace the sensor rotor if it is the problem?

Hi, it is not to difficult a job to do. You will have to remove the drive shaft,then unbolt and remove the transmission extension housing #29. Then you can remove the snap ring and pull sensor rotor off the output shaft.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We are having a difficult time finding someone who carries the sensor rotor part, we have tried parts stores, transmission shops, speedometer specialist etc. Could you recommend a place preferably between Longview Washington and Portland Oregon? Thanks.

Hi, parts stores will not carry parts like that,it is a dealer or specialty part. I don't have any information on dealers in your area,but have information on a company that does sell these parts, see the downloads that follow. Before you replace the part,I would make sure it is the problem,see if it is loose or out of place on the tailshaft or is physically damaged. Hope this helps you,Jerry.