Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.
4232346

How to replace ignition lock cylinder on a 2005 Chevy Silverado?

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 4 years ago.
Does the lock cylinder turn or is it stuck in the off position?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Stuck in off position
OK, you are going to have to replace the lock cylinder housing as well. There is no way to get the lock cylinder out of the housing with out it turning to the start position. To remove the lock cylinder, you have to turn the cylinder to run, push in the retainer thru a hole and turn the cylinder to start and the cylinder will come out. Some times the lock cylinder tumbles stick, you can try to loosen them by installing the key and taping on the cylinder with a hammer. This sometimes works, you will still have to replace the cylinder but not the housing.
First you need to remove the trim bezels around the steering column, then try to get the cylinder to turn.
  1. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.

1. Install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing.
  2. Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing

1. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

If you can not get the cylinder to turn, then the housing needs to be replaced as well. You will have to remove the steering wheel to do this.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So since the cylinder is stuck in the off position, and cannot turn to run, or acc, then i need to replace the housing? Can u elaborate on this as well? Is this an added part? and how do i go about replacing the housing?
Here is the housing below.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
You need to remove the steering wheel to get to one of the bolts. After replacing the housing, you need to program the theft system. Here is the procedure for the program.

30-Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

7. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  8. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Experience: ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.