JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

HOW CAN I BLEED THE COOLING SYSTEM O A 98 CAVALIER 2.2 ENG

Customer Question

HOW CAN I BLEED THE COOLING SYSTEM O A 98 CAVALIER 2.2 ENG.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 6 years ago.
  1. Open the bleeder valve (1) on the heater return pipe.
  2. Fill the cooling system through the surge tank until coolant is expelled out of the heater return pipe bleeder valve. Close the bleeder valve.graphic
  3. Top off coolant level in the surge tank to a level even with the flat horizontal wall below the vent lines, about 25.4 mm (1 inch) below the filler neck.
  4. Leave the surge tank cap off and start engine.
  5. The thermostat is considered open when the upper radiator hose is hot at the radiator connection.
  6. Turn HVAC controls to heater, full hot. Check for warm air during the first 5 minutes after the engine is started, If no hot air is present, start the procedure again at step 4.
  7. Top off the coolant, if necessary, to the same level as in step 7.
  8. Install the surge tank cap
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
DONE THAT BUT STILL OVERHEATS. THE RADIATOR IS BELOW CYL. HEAD HEIGHT & I THINK IT HAS A AIR POCKET
try parking it on a hill, But these motors were famous for head gasket failure, Combustion leak tests are very inaccurate, i would suggest a leak down test
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WE FOUND THE HEATER CORE BEEING CLOGGED WAS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. WE BYPASED HEATER CORE ROAD TESTED & NO MORE OVERHEATING