Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

HOW DO I REMOVE IGNITION SWITCH ON 85 CHEVY TRUCK

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
Are you removing the lock cylinder or the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i thought it was my lock cylinder but new one does same thing, key will stay in any positon, in start position there is no spring back or nothing. not really sure of my problem

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.

It is not necessary to completely remove the turn signal switch from the column. Pull the turn signal switch rearward far enough to slip it over the end of the shaft, but do not pull the harness out of the column.

For the complete instructions, click here.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does my problem seem to be ignition switch, if so how do i remove it?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
I believe it is just a metal rod that goes from the lock cylinder down to the switch at bottom of the column. Check the switch I am almost positive the spring is part of the switch.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
Its in those instructions, click here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can i see if there is a spring missing or that is part of switch. by turning key should i see a rod moving to the switch
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
Yes a rod should move at the switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i can see no movement at the switch. when this first happened key just layed in start position and all power was lost that key turned on,windows radio, starter, does that sound to you a ignition switch, or possibly key not activating rod
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
Can you feel down at the switch a rod move when you turn the key?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
Did you find the ignition switch, the rod should be sticking out the bottom of the column near that switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i see the rod which seems to be going into the switch, by turning the key the rod doesn,t move
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
You obviously missed seeing the rod when you had the lock cylinder out. Look for it and make sure it is hooked up to the lock cylinder. I don't remember if the rod actually hooks to the cylinder or it just sticks up through the column but you are going to have to make sure both ends of the rod are where they are supposed to be then try to turn the key and see if switch moves and also springs back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

all the afor mentioned things that happened, not starting, loss of power, was caused by what, rod not moving, ignition switch, it did this before i change out the key

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
If the rod is not moving the ignition switch then the vehicle will not start, plus there would be no run position either. Have you fixed the rod yet? If not let me know where you are.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i need to know how to fix rod. i have turn signal switch loose, handle still on, column panels off.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
Can you see the top end of the rod? If so put the bottom end of the rod into the ignition switch then see if when turning the key the rod moves.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when i turn the key i see two things that move. the steering wheel look pin and a rectangle shaped part that goes up and down with the key, would that be top of rod? if so that is moving
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
Reach down on the bottom and grab ahold of the rod, turn the key, if the rod moves then make sure the rod is in the switch are you should be done. If the rod don't move then look to see if the rod has fallen down too far and if so you will have to push back up on the rod while feeding it through the column untill it goes wherever it is supposed to go. That is all I can say without actually looking at it. If you have anymore trouble if you could take a picture of what the inside top of that column looks like and I'll try to tell from the pic where the rod is supposed to come up through and where it goes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i will try that, if i have to remove the turn signal switch, how does that come off
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
I believe if you unhook the harness at the bottom of the column then you should be able to pull the turn signal mechanism out from the top, just be careful when pulling on wires.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your time 396, will give it a try!
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.
You are welcome and thank you. let me know if you need any more help, I'll be off and on the rest of the nite till about 10 then on tomorrow by 7-9am.