ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2000 Chevy Suburban 1500 turns over but will not start. Under

2000 Chevy Suburban 1500 turns over but will not start. Under hood fuse box has no blown fuses but many do not have power to them (the smaller ones). Main fuses are powered and good and ignition and starter relays have power. but not the smaller ones in between and toward the fender. Is the problem in the fuse box itself? Is it powered only by the large power cable coming off the battery or does the dash fuse panel feed some of the circuits in the under hood fuse box?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
There are usually several fuses that do not have power all the time some only have power when the lights are on and some when cranking the engine and when the brake pedal is pushed or the turn signals are on. I would start with the basics by checking for fuel pressure and spark. If the fuel pump fairly new it could still be bad and possibly be covers under warranty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am aware of the basics that you mentioned but I used a Pocket Scan Plus to check for any codes and all it mentioned was that cyl 2 is misfiring. I expect that a fuel pump would show on diagnostics but if not , how else can I check fuel pressure? I hear the fuel pump go on briefly, so I believe it is ok. I have also replaced relays for IGN 1 and STARTER with no change. The very Large fuses all have voltage but the smaller ones between the relays I mentioned are dead and I know that they should have power. They include INJ-B, ECM 1, INJ-A ETC and IGN E and I had watched a mechanic check them for power in the past and they were powered, but I do not know if they are fed from within the under hood fuse box or from the dash fuse box.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
Did you check these fuses with the key on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, key was in the on or run position. Most of the other smaller style fuses in the under hood fuse box had powerexcept the ones I mentionedspecifically. I am original owner (bought new with 10 miles or so) and vehicle has 211,000 miles (mostly highway with regular oil changes and maintenance).

It had a lot or repairs in the first year and a half, including a complete transmission replacement, 2 ABS module replacements, and every electric window relay went out one after one. I had an extended warranty, and later looked at the id tag and found that it was in the first batch of Chevys manufactured in a plant that had just been built in Mexico. After the first year, no major repairs to speak of. In the last 6 months, just a fuel pump (original fuel pump went out).

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok at the IGN 1 relay you need to see if terminals 30 and 85 have voltage with the key on. Let me know the results, the numbers are on the bottom of the relay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO. There is NO VOLTAGE to terminals 30 and 85. Also there is no voltage to terminal 86, but terminal 87 has 12 volts.

The relay is installed exactly as the schematic shows with IGN showing terminal 30 (nearest motor) and terminal 85 (nearest fender) both on the right side of the IGN 1 relay, which is the firewall side.

I then substituted a new relay in the IGN 1 slot oriented properly, and engine turns over but will not start.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.

Ok if 87 has voltage the relay is in wrong, 87 should get voltage from terminal 30 when the relay is activated. But 85 should also have voltage and that gets it power right from the battery with no fuses in between, it does connect through the under hood fuse box so the fuse box itself is most likely the problem, they often get corroded under the fuse box or the problem is inside the circuitry of the fuse box.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I believe you that there is a problem with the circuitry of the under hood fuse box.

However, the relay was NOT installed wrong, it was not installed at all when I checked the voltages. I pulled the relay out completely to use the multimeter's needle probe to contact the slots that the relay plugs into. If this was not a valid test, then I need to take the top off of the relay to do the test. Should I try to check the voltages with the relay IN?

There is no doubt in the schematic as to how to install the relay as the BIG 50 A fuses are shown to be to the engine side and the relay numbers are clearly posted relative to them

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.

So are you saying the relay can not be installed in both dirrections/flipped?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, it cannot be flipped. I am absolutely sure that the relay is installed consistent with the schematic glued to the under hood fuse box cover. The test was done and voltages measured with the relay removed.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.

Does the relay look like the pic below or all the terminals the same and aligned with each other?

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, it does not look like the picture. It is 1 inch by 1 inch square and the blades or terminals are aligned with each other in the same direction. The white numbers on the relay are 3614 with HELLA molded into it and the numbers 12193614 molded into it. The orientation looks like:

Engine Firewall

-------------------- ----------------------------------------

Fuse Box

Big Fuses

40A 50A 50A 50A 30A

IGN 1

86- 30-

87- 85- - blade direction

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok then the relay is in backwards, the one with voltage should be 30, if you supply voltage to 85 the vehicle should start. Many people will add a new rely holder rather than installing a new fuse box but that is up to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The relay cannot be turned around. The terminals will not go in because the relay is square but the terminals are offset to one side and there is a ridge which won't let it go in upside down. There are 3 more relays and they are all the same, they cannot be put into the IGN 1 slot upside down.

Now the truck was running with the existing relays and something else must have happened but all of the other fuses in the fuse box seem to have power with the exception of the ones I mentioned before. So from what you have told me, the IGN 1 relay has to proveide power to those fuses and its primary must be the issue, according to what info thah you have provided. It looks like I am going to have to tow to a dealership and get a rental to go to work inthe am.

How do people add another relay holder to an existing fuse box?

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
What some people do is cut the wires out of the existing fuse box and rewire them into a independent relay and then just tie it into the wiring. I was thinking that you can actually jump terminals 30 and 87 and that would also make it run as long as it is the only circuit that is affected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am going to carpool with my kid tomorrow (he has exams - just a half day) and will try your suggestion tomorrow afternoon. I will reply first then accept your answer because i have not used this service before but i learned a lot from you. Also, electrical problems can drive anybody nuts, especially when you do not have the opportunity to see the vehicle.

I am very satisfied and I appreciate your time and wish you had a shop in my neighborhood, but this online electrical diagnosis work was a real challenge. Thanks very much and I have to go with my son to run some last minute weekend errands.

Thank you again,

Paul Bienvenue

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience: 28 year experience, Master Mechanic