Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

where is the speed sensor on a 1999 chevy suburban 1500 2 wheel

where is the speed sensor on a 1999 chevy suburban 1500XXXXXin the transmission
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Hello and good afternoon. The Vehicle speed sensor is located on the left rear section of the trans, near the tail section. Here is a picture. Note the picture is with the transmission positioned upside down, but it gives you an idea what you are looking for.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does that sound like what it could be
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

If the speedometer is reading properly, I don't think so. If the speedo is malfunctioning too, then definitely. If it's slipping, its very probable that you have internal wear causing your issues. A lack of shifting could go towards a shift solenoid, but slipping into neutral is usually internal wear like worn clutch packs or the loss of hydraulic pressure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am going to accept how do I get you for another vechicle question for a 4x4
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
I'll take that one right here too. What is the issue with that one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a 1993 jeep cherokee with a 1998 ford explorer rear axle and a 1998 grand cherokee front axle a mut.It is 4x4. When you are driving it the front end starts to shake so bad that the front tires start to bounce up and down and the stearing wheel shakes to. So bad that my son almost lost control of it and rolled it. It is lifted up also.It does not do it all the time.When you are driving it does not pull.It mainly does it when it hits a bump. You have to stop the truck for it to stop

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

The problem is most like the result of a slightly if not large difference in gear ratios. If the ratios are not exactly the same or tires being exactly the same in total circumference the binding sensation of the tires rolling at different rates will cause unsafe if not catastrophic results. The difference in axles may be yielding different ratios. That is where I would focus. If they are OK and it's only on bumps, you may need the aid of a steering stabilizer added to help control those osculations. Check for any play in ball joints or steering components as well. Excess play anywhere, will magnify with the lift and larger tires.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

was told it has the same ratio. I just changes the shocks and steering stabilizer on it.But it did not work.Just noticied that the tie end rods have about 3/4 of a inch turn on them

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

If the tie rods rotate, that ok, you don't want end play. Try this, with the truck on the ground, turn the steering wheel and have some look at the track arm. Look for play where it connects to the frame. Look for play. Same where it connects to the differential. You won't see this play unless the weight is on the wheels.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
everything is tight.I cranked the truck and tryed.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

You may have to find a dual stabilizer kit. Also, look at the toe settings. If the wheels are toed in, they can cause some of that behavior, once the suspension is upset by the bump. Even 0 toe could cause a wander when the bump occurs and that magnifies into this behavior. If all is tight, it could be a matter of geometry from this standpoint.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for all your help
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

You are very welcome. Have a great weekend, and let me know if you need anything as you proceed.

Ivan

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show