John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

I have a 05 chevy c5500 with a 6.6. The engine shut down light

I have a 05 chevy c5500 with a 6.6. The engine shut down light activates after a couple of seconds after start and will not alow the engine to restart without grounding the computer. This process may repeat but the truck will act normal and run all day till the next cold start. The engine coolant is fine, so is the oil and pressure and i have no codes. What could it be.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Where are you grounding the computer for restart ? case ? terminal ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am removing the positive at the terminal under the hood and grounding to a bolt on the fire wall.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

I believe you are going to find that you have a faulty FICM (fuel injection control module).To verify this would take the use of a scan tool looking at the data where trying to start engine.

First take a look at this info for a " chafed wiring harness".

09-06-04-034: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Fuel Injector Driver Circuit DTCs and Cylinder Bank Shut Down DTCs, Reduced Engine Power (Repair Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) Harness Chafed Wires) - (Aug 17, 2009)

Subject:Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Fuel Injector Engine Wiring Harness (Repair Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) Harness Chafed Wires)

Models:2001-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series, Silverado Models
2001-2004 GMC Sierra Models, TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
Equipped with DuramaxTM Diesel Engine RPO LB7
2004-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado Models
2004-2005 GMC Sierra Models, TopKick
Equipped with Duramax Diesel Engine RPO LLY
Please Refer to GMVIS

This condition may be caused by the fuel injector control module (FICM) wiring harness protective conduit rubbing against the back of the alternator, the alternator bracket or the FICM harness retaining bracket. This may result in the conduit rubbing through, exposing the wires inside and chafing of the wire insulation then occurs.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the DTC information with the scan tool.
  3. If any of the above DTCs are set, then proceed to inspect the FICM wiring harness at the locations outlined in the following steps.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition and all accessories and allow the control modules to power down.

Note: For Silverado and Sierra models only perform Step 5.

5. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement in SI.
    Object Number: 744247  Size: SH

Important: DO NOT break off the tab on the electrical connectors.

6. Disconnect the FICM electrical connectors (2) from the FICM (1).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

7. Carefully bend up and backwards the FICM wiring harness electrical connectors (1) away from the FICM (4).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Note: Some of these chafes are very small, possibly the size of a pen tip, but could still cause injector circuit concerns.

8. Inspect the wiring harness for chafing (3) that may result from rubbing at the back of the alternator (2), the alternator bracket or at the FICM harness retaining bracket.

If necessary, peel the tape from the area and look for ANY chafes into the wires.

If chafing is observed and the conductive portion of the wire IS NOT damaged, apply electrical tape around the wire.
    If chafing is observed and the conductive portion of the wire IS damaged, then refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in Wiring Repairs in SI.
    If chafing IS NOT OBSERVED , then refer to the appropriate DTC Diagnostic procedures in SI.
  9. Connect the electrical connectors to the FICM.
  10. Insulate the harness with suitable material such as conduit or heater hose to prevent a reoccurrence.

Note: For Silverado and Sierra models only perform Step 11.

11. Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement in SI.
  12. Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will look but as I understand it the shut down light is only activated by oil pressure or high temp. I can not look at it today. I am not by the truck.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
When you do go to look at it ,use a scan tool to view the data for the engine temperature & oil pressure.If this is the case you could have a faulty input sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The wire harness is fine. I inspected it thoroughly. Do you know the location of the temperature and oil pressure sensor.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: LF

(1)Glow Plug 2
(2)Fuel Injector 2
(3)Fuel Injector 4
(4)Glow Plug 4
(5)Fuel Injector 6
(6)Glow Plug 6
(7)Fuel Injector 8
(8)Glow Plug 8
(9)Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Sensor
(10)Engine Oil Level Switch

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: LF

(1)Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician