Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

2000 chevy s10: peddle..the caliper break cylinders..brake pads

Customer Question

Problem: Spongy break peddle after replacing pads

Subject: Brake pad replacement (front and rear)

Vehicle: 2000 Chev S10 4x4

No problems encountered changing out all pads.

I used a C-clamp to compress the caliper break cylinders - compressing them very slowly so the calipers would fit over the new pads - encountered no problems.

The new brake pads went into place without a hitch.

Calipers went back into place over the new break pads and were secured.

Got the vehicle back on its wheels.

When I started the vehicle then pushed the brake to the floor. After the second or third time I braked, the peddle no longer went to the floor, but it never firmed up. I continued to pump the brake several (40 or more time) but the best I could get was a mushy peddle that went half way to the floor.

Am I to the point where I have to bleed the breaks

Thanks for any help in advance.

XXXXX XXXXX
Chev owner since 1965 XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Yes sir, it's time to bleed the brakes.
If after bleeding the brakes there still is no brake pedal, there has been an issue known with the brake modulator valve. I would recommend replacing this valve.
graphic

• Tools Required
  • J 28434 Wheel Cylinder Bleeder Wrench
  • J 21472 Brake Bleeder Wrench
  1. Apply the brakes several times with the ignition OFF in order to relieve the brake vacuum reserve.
  2. Fill the master cylinder reservoirs with DOT 3 motor vehicle brake fluid.
  3. Maintain the fluid level during bleeding.
  4. If the master cylinder has air in the bore, bleed the master cylinder using the following procedure
4.1. Disconnect the forward brake pipe connector at the master cylinder.
4.2. Allow the brake fluid to flow from the connector port.
4.3. Connect the brake pipe connector. Do not tighten the brake pipe connector.
4.4. Slowly apply the brake pedal and allow the air to bleed from the loose connector.
4.5. Tighten the connector before releasing the brake pedal.
4.6. Wait 15 seconds.
4.7. Repeat this sequence, including the 15 second wait, until all air is purged from the master cylinder bore.
4.8. Repeat this procedure for the rear brake pipe after you purge all the- air from the forward pipe connection.
  1. If the brake pressure modulator valve of the antilock brake system is replaced or if you suspect that air is trapped inside, bleed the brake pressure modulator valve next. Refer to Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) Replacement (310 ABS) or Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) Replacement (325 ABS) in Antilock Brake System.
  2. Follow this sequence if it is necessary to bleed all four wheels:
6.1. Right rear wheel cylinder or caliper
6.2. Left rear wheel cylinder or caliper
6.3. Right front wheel caliper
6.4. Left front wheel caliper
  1. Use J 28434 to bleed the wheel cylinders.
7.1. Place the hex end of the wrench over the wheel cylinder bleeder valve.
7.2. Immerse the opposite end of the hose into a clear container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  1. Use J 21472 to bleed the calipers.
8.1. Place the proper size hex end of the wrench over the caliper bleeder valve.
8.2. Place a clear tube over the caliper bleeder valve.
8.3. immerse the opposite end of the hose into a clear container partially filled with clean brake fluid.
  1. Slowly apply the brake pedal one time and hold.
  2. Loosen the bleeder valve in order to purge the air from the wheel cylinder or caliper.
  3. Tighten the bleeder valve and slowly release the brake pedal.
  4. Wait 15 seconds. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  5. Repeat this sequence, including the 15 second wait, until all air is purged from the wheel cylinder or caliper. Tighten Tighten the bleeder valve to 7 Nm (62 inch lbs.).
  6. Repeat steps 7-13 at each wheel until the brake system is bled.
  7. Clean any brake fluid off the vehicle that may have gotten on it during the bleeding procedure.
  8. Inspect the brake pedal if it feels spongy, and inspect the brake warning lamp for an indication of unbalanced pressure. Repeat the bleeding procedure in order to correct either of these conditions.
  9. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling.

Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tim

Can you please provide information on how to bleed the Break Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV)?

The ABS light came on as I was driving home - the anti breaking action actual kicking in at one stop. So I'm a little worried I might end up having air in the BPMV.

Thanks again.

Larry XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Use the Automated bleed procedure to bleed the modulator.

Two Person Procedure

IMPORTANT:
  • Use the two-person bleed procedure under the following conditions:
  • Installing a new Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit (EHCU) or new Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) .
  • Air is trapped in the valve body
  • Do not drive the vehicle until the brake pedal feels firm.
  • Do not reuse brake fluid that is used during bleeding.
  • Use the vacuum, the pressure and the gravity bleeding procedures only for base brake bleeding.
  1. Raise the vehicle in order to access the system bleed screws.
  2. Bleed the system at the right rear wheel first.
  3. Install a clear hose on the bleed screw.
  4. Immerse the opposite end of the hose into a container partially filled with clean DOT 3 brake fluid.
  5. Open the bleed screw 1/2 to one full turn.
  6. Slowly depress the brake pedal. While the pedal is depressed to its full extent, tighten the bleed screw.
  7. Release the brake pedal and wait 10-15 seconds for the master cylinder pistons to return to the home position.
  8. Repeat the previous steps for the remaining wheels. The brake fluid which is present at each bleed screw should be clean and free of air.
  9. This procedure may use more than a pint of fluid per wheel. Check the master cylinder fluid level every four to six strokes of the brake pedal in order to avoid running the system dry.
  10. Press the brake pedal firmly and run the Scan Tool Automated Bleed Procedure. Release the brake pedal between each test.
  11. Bleed all four wheels again using Steps 3-9. This will remove the remaining air from the brake system.
  12. Evaluate the feel of the brake pedal before attempting to drive the vehicle.
  13. Bleed the system as many times as necessary in order to obtain the appropriate feel of the pedal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Step 10 Press the brake pedal firmly and run the Scan Tool Automated Bleed Procedure. Release the brake pedal between each test.

Don't think I have a Scan Tool Automated Bleed Procedure. What is it - or should I just go to a Chevy Dealer and let them take care of it?

I'll bleed the master cylinders per the instructions you sent me. Then I'll bleed each line at the brake pads.

The info you just sent me duplicates bleeding at the brake pads - nothing different other then the Scan Tool Automated Bleed Procedure in step 10. If it's a procedure that doesn't entail a object - just instructions - What are the instructions?

Sorry if this is dragging on but I need specifics that cover the unknowns - for example the diagram you gave me has a line labeled 4 that point to the underside of the main break assembly where the Brake Pressure Modulator Value is. I have no idea what it's really pointing to. Is there a better diagram that shows it clearly? That might help figure out where the system bleed screws are.

Thank again for your time

XXXXX XXXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
If you do not have a scan tool to perform the bleed, you can perform some ABS manuevers. (Drive 45 and hit brakes engaging the ABS) do this a few times and It should bleed this way. (This is an old trick) It's worth a shot. Just try not to lose any brake fluid. (lol) anyway if you can't get it to bleed it's probably best to do it with a scan tool.
Try this and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That should do it for now

I already hit the Accept button and wrote a comment on your excellent service :o)

I like your old trick better than crawling under my truck and trying to find something that I don't know what I'm looking for.

I won't worry about the BPMV.

Thanks again
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
lol, thanks