AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 chevy cavalier: that keeps overheating..water pump..leak

i have a 2000 chevy cavalier that keeps overheating despite having a new water pump & thermostat. and does not leak any fluid.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

When does the engine overheat? DOes it overheat driving down the road or at idle? Does the fan come on to cool the engine down? How hot is the engine actually getting?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
usually when i am at an idle situationit will red line if i do not shut off the car, if i am driving at highway speeds and it is cool outside then the temp guage doesn't run as hot. but if i am driving around in city conditions the temp is still creeping up yes the fan does come on but not until the temp guage reads about 211-215
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
So when the fan comes on, does the temp go back down?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
SO the engine temp keeps rising up? Have we checked the pressure in the cooling system?

Edited by AMEDEE on 5/12/2010 at 12:37 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was assuming that the radiator shop did that when they replaced the t-hose and thermostat. but i also went out there and started it up and it seems to have pressure in the system. But i just checked by squeezing the hose once the thermostat opened up is there a better way to check this

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Well, yes.. there is. A cooling system pressure checker is used to see how much pressure is in the cooling system. If there is too much pressure or if pressure builds too fast, then the head gasket is likely blown.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no white smoke or water coming from the tail pipe and for a car that is 10 years old and has 138,000 miles on it when it is not overheating seems to run pretty good
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Well, head gaskets can go bad in several different ways. I am not saying that this is the problem for sure, I am just bringing this up as a test to run in order to help you figure out your problem.

If the tests passes, then the only thing left would be possible a bad temp sensor or faulty gauge cluster.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

how is this pressure test performed is it something i can do myself

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
YOU BET!

You just need to get a cooling system pressure checker with the right adapter that will fit on your cooling system tank. Just screw it on and start the engine up. Watch the pressure as the engine warms up. ANything above 14 psi is too much.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it is above 14 psi is it for sure a blown head gasket or could it still be some kind of blockage in one of the lines. My husband seems to think that the coolant is not flowing is there a way to check this as well. I do have some experience working on motors mostly shade tree stuff like tune-ups and oil changes, belts and waterpumps but i have never even seen a cooling system like this one all of the vehicles i have worked on are larger motors that have a radiator cap on the radiator and a resevoir tank and not a surge tank like this one has so i can't really tell if it is flowing or not
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
THis is a possibility! When the engine starts to warm up, run your hands along all of the radiator hoses and be sure that they are all th same temp. If they are not, then this would indicate a blockage. IN addition, you can take off the hoses to look for restrictions and to run water through them to be sure that they are clear of debris..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i already had my husband do that and

he says the upper hose is hot but the bottom parts of the hose are still cool

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
If there is a drastic difference, then maybe your radiator is clogged?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

they supposedly checked the radiator at the radiator shop do I assume that they did not i will still run the pressure check but i want to make sure that i check for everything before giving in to the "blown head gasket theory" by the way this is not my car my niece was in a rush to buy a car and bought this one because it was a local car and in her price range. I am just trying to keep her from throwing good money after bad.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
I hear you on that one!

I would be doing research myself!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer. JA CHAT is also a great tool : I WELCOME your CHAT Requests!

REGARDS

AMEDEE