Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years

My truck wont start. I have a 98 chevy S10; 4-cylinder/5

My truck won't start. I have a 98 chevy S10; 4-cylinder/5 speed. It has 161000 miles. It has been a very dependable truck, never any major problems. This morning went to start it and nothing; no clicking, no starter trying to turn over. I tried to charge the battery, nothing. I replaced battery w/a new battery from an other car of mine, nothing. I check the fuses,all good. The truck has always run like a champ now nothing.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Do your headlights come on?

When you turn the key foward are there any lights on the dash or interior?

let me know

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The headlights do come on, the dome light & lamp under the hood comes on & seems normal brightness, the dash lights on normal; seat belt, e-brake. My gauges read (3/4 tank, 12volts)

There is a common problem with the key cylinder causing a no start because of the anti-theft system

have you noticed if there is a security light on?

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No security light. I didn't know there was a security system on this truck. It is a plain jane S-10, no bells or whistles

Do you have a test light?

check that you have power to both sides of the 20 amp crank fuse while holding the key in the start position.

the crank fuse is in the underhood electrical center.

click here to view your starting circuit

let me know what you find on the crank fuse and if you need more help

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The crank fuse is fine, it is a 10amp fuse though. I have never changed it. I did put test light to it. The test light didn't come on with the key on but did when held in the start position (very faint light).

Is the light dimmer on that crank fuse then on the other fuses?

unplug the fuse and check power to one of the pins while cranking is the light brighter now than it was with the fuse in?

Paul

Edited by Paul M ASE Master Tech CHEVY L1 on 5/11/2010 at 4:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before; I removed the crank fuse & stuck the test light in both pin slots then turned the key w/ a dim light. I'm by myself, if your asking me to hold the test light to the fuse & turn the key w/the clutch pedal down would be a trick. I fould a fuse tester in my tool box & the little green light is bright when touch to the top of fuse. I've removed the fuse & plug my test light in each one of the pin slot w/it grounded to the fire wall & turned the key & light never lite.

you should be getting good power to one of the fuse slots with the key to crank

this start signal is fed to the fuse through the yellow wire on the ignition switch

if you have no power to one of the fuse slots while cranking

you need to check the yellow wire coming out of the ignition switch for power

also make sure you have power coming into the ignition switch on the orange

let me know what you find

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The three screws holding the steering colunm together are star heads & my set of sockets won't reach. I'm going to have to wait till the wife gets home in order to go buy a set that will. |How much longer are you going to be reachable? Or is there something else I can try?

You can reach me through this question for the next few days

I would be checking the signal in and out of the ignition switch as I described

you should be getting a signal to the crank fuse with the ignition switch to crank if you do not have power to either slot of the crank fuse when cranking power is not getting from the switch to the fuse

you can put the truck and nuetral and parking brake on.

turn the key foward to run position so dash lights come on

use a jumper wire to get power from another fuse and touch it to the crank fuse.

this will bypass the signal from the ignition switch for testing

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I column cover off & tested the yellow & orange wires. I hope I got the right ones. The orange was pretty thick compared to the other but it did have power. It lite the test light constantly where the yellow wire was alot thinner & it lite the light when switching from run to start position. Now what? Whatcha think.

that yellow wire runs directly to the crank fuse

so if you are seeing power on the yellow while cranking you should also be seeing power at the crank fuse while cranking

if not you need to repair the break in the yellow wire between the switch and the crank fuse

let me know how you make out

Paul

A lot of times the wire breaks directly under the fuse. you may want to open the fuse panel to look underneith and check the yello behind that fuse

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm back. I've torn the dash & the fuse center (under the hood) apart. I've traced the yellow wire as far as I can. I can't find any worn or broken wires. I've used my test light in several different places along it's route. After the fuse center was taken apart there seems there is no power anywhere. I worked on this a big part of yesterday & had to walk away from it. Could this be a bad ignition switch? I'm a hands on kind of guy, but this electric/wire trace is driving me crazy. If this was a greasy/oil mechical problem I'd be at home. Sorry if I'm being pain the ass.

Do you still have power to the orange into the switch? and yellow out of the switch?

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes there is power to the orange & no power to the yellow. I tested the yellow in number of places.

You mentioned you had power on the yellow out of the ignition switch when you originally tested it?

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yea I did, I don't seem to now. If I remember correctly it was dim. That was before I stared to take the fuse center apart. I've put it back together before I got back w/ya.

See if you can jump power from the orange to the yellow with a jumper wire at the ignition switch connector

does the engine crank?

if so the switch is bad

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK I shaved away some of the orange coating & went ahead & cut yellow wire just inches out of the switch. I used a jumper wire between them; nothing. I then connected them w/ my test light; nothing.

that's why I asked you to check power at the crank fuse with it unplugged

check power at the crank fuse with the orange and yellow jumped?

is it dim with the fuse plugged in? but bright if you check the pin with the fuse out?

let me know

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, I guess I'm not understanding you clearly. Do you mean jump the yellow to the orange & check the crack fuse then. Before I tried to jump the fuse to another fuse. After thinking about this I came up w/maybe another clue. I don't know if this will matter. I work for a excavation company. During the winter and raining season work is on a day-to-day basis. I go to the shop & usually sit in the truck sometimes 2 to3 hours listening to the radio. As you know the radio will stay on until the door is opened. I will remain in the truck & it will turn its self off after 15-20min. , where I will turn the key back to run & the back to the off position & will repeast this a few times before I get out to work or go home. I thought this will give you some clue or maybe it won't matter.

When you jump the orange to the yellow at the ignition switch connector

the crank fuse should then have a good 12volts 2 boths sides not dim...

if it is dim unplug the fuse and then check for a good 12volts to the fuse slot

you need to verify that power is getting from the yellow to the crank fuse

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+ Years