Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

how do i remove the rotor on my 1998 chevy silverado

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
is this truck 4wd?and you are just replacing front or rear rotors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am going to replace the brakes pads on the front tires. I need to remove the rotors to get them surfaced. My vehicle is a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, with a 5.7 liter engine it is not a 4x4
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

ok follow this process.it should work out fine for you!

1. Remove the brake caliper Notice: Support the caliper with a piece of wire to prevent damage to the brake line.
  2. Remove the cap from the hub/rotor.
  3. Remove the cotter pin, the nut, and the washer.
  4. Remove the hub/rotor from the spindle. Important: Do not damage the outer bearing and the spindle threads.
  5. Remove the outer bearing.
  6. Remove the seal. Pry the seal out and discard the seal.
  7. Remove the inner bearing.
  8. Clean all of the parts in a solvent, then air dry. Do not spin the bearings with compressed air. Notice: Do not spin the wheel bearings with compressed air to dry them-the wheel bearings may be damaged.
  9. Inspect the hub/rotor.
  10. Inspect the bearings and the races for wear or damage. Replace the parts as necessary.

HUB/ROTOR INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the inner bearing to the hub/rotor. Important:
    • Make sure all of the parts are clean and free of grease.
    • Apply an approved high-temperature front wheel bearing grease to the spindle at the inner and outer bearing seat, the shoulder, and the seal seat.
    • Also, finger apply a small amount of grease inboard of each bearing cup in the hub/rotor.
    • Pressure pack the bearings with a greasing machine, or hand pack the bearings. Make sure the grease is worked thoroughly into the rollers, the cone, and the cage.
  1. Apply and additional quantity of grease outboard of the inner bearing.
  2. Install the seal.

3.1.Lubricate the seal lip.
3.2.Use a seal installation tool or a flat block in order to press the seal down flush with the hub.
3.3.Seat the outer bearing and the cup.

1. install the hub/rotor to the spindle. Important: Do not scuff the spindle threads.
  2. Install the outer bearing to the hub/rotor.
  3. Install the washer.
  4. Install the nut.

7.1.Tighten the nut to 16 Nm (12 ft. lbs.) , while turning the wheel assembly forward by hand.
7.2.Apply grease to the outboard side of the outer bearing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This type of job is either beyond my capabilities or i just dont get it thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok.may i ask what you don't get?or its more of a job than you thought?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is more than i am willing to complete
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok.well im glad my answer was acceptable